"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 07-09-2006, 10:14 AM   #31
Master Chef

I'm a charcoal person through & through (sorry, have never liked gas grills & never will - can't see the point), & purchased one of those big barrel-shaped "Char-Grill"s, complete with the sidebox, for my husband for Fathers Day 8 or 9 years ago.

It's still going strong, & we LOVE it, even using it on nice days in the winter, since we have many mild winter days here in VA. Definitely a quality product.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:17 AM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
I have to change my answer, as we got a new grill recently.
It's a Jenn-Air Stainless, and it's amazing how much you can
fit on the grill! Last night we had a big potluck, and my
husband cooked chicken breasts...26 at one time!
Holy smokes! Is that 5 burners?!? I applaud anyone that can keep track of that much food on the grill.

I have two grills. One is a Brinkmann smoke-n-grill. I've never smoked on it, but it works super as a charcoal grill. With a full chimney of briquettes it will stay hot for at least 4 hours or so! Then my new toy is a Brinkmann 3 burner gas grill. I love it. It has plenty of space for setting plates, utensils, spices, etc on the side racks. I have always heard that the Webers are great, but I don't like the burner knobs on the right side like that.

Breezy,
Most people probably prefer charcoal, but gas is much faster and easier. That is the point.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:34 AM   #33
Senior Cook

I too have a Char-Griller with the Side Fire Box. I finally made the switch from Gas to Charcoal with the Char-Griller and am very happy with my decision.

I love how versatile it is and the amount of cooking area.. I definitely recommend the brand as I have been very satisfied so far.

-Brad
Old 07-13-2006, 11:38 AM   #34
Master Chef

Vagriller - but isn't it exactly the same as cooking on gas burners inside? I know that it's easier & faster, but I can't see the difference between inside cooking over gas & outside cooking over gas. Is there any flavor difference at all, or is it just the novelty of cooking outside?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:43 AM   #35
Sous Chef

Webber charcoal grill here. Charcoal over gas anytime.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:43 AM   #36
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Vagriller - but isn't it exactly the same as cooking on gas burners inside? I know that it's easier & faster, but I can't see the difference between inside cooking over gas & outside cooking over gas. Is there any flavor difference at all, or is it just the novelty of cooking outside?
There actually is a huge flavor difference Breezy. As the meats cook the juices drip down and hit the hot surfaces. They vaporize and the smoke rises and flavors the meat. Not to mention that you can use wood chips for some smoke as well. I would not want to try that inside

Charcoal has a better flavor IMO, but the convienence of gas outweighs the flavor difference for me.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:53 PM   #37
Senior Cook

I have a Jen-Air 45 gas grill. While I'm not totally in love with it I do cook most things on it. It's really big as far as gas grills go with 4 burners, a ceramic burner for a rotisserie, a side burner, and lots of cast iron & stainless steel. I got it about 4 years ago for a steal. It listed for $995 at Lowe's but I only paid $100.00 and it even included a free full propane tank and optional rotisserie and optional side burner.

I think when I build my outdoor kitchen I will remove the base and set this unit into my outdoor kitchen counter. I think it will look more at home this way.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:03 PM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
There actually is a huge flavor difference Breezy. As the meats cook the juices drip down and hit the hot surfaces. They vaporize and the smoke rises and flavors the meat. Not to mention that you can use wood chips for some smoke as well. I would not want to try that inside

Charcoal has a better flavor IMO, but the convienence of gas outweighs the flavor difference for me.
Right. The last time I grilled on my gas grill there was so much smoke pouring out of that thing it looked like the house was on fire!

I will probably still get the charcoal grill out, but only on weekends or special occasions.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:55 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Charcoal fans here. HH is in charge of the grilling and BBq-ing - I am like JCook and do the other stuff. We have two fairly ancient cookers - could not tell you the names- and gave a R2D2-shaped smoker away to BIL.

When I was single I got a lot of use out of my little cheapie hibachi grill. Do they even make those anymore?
Old 07-13-2006, 05:09 PM   #40
Master Chef

Yes, they do Mudbug. You can usually find them in the home/garden big box stores in the beginning of the season. I'm thinking of picking one up next year for little Thai Satay appetizers & stuff like that while other larger fare is going on the big grill.