What smoker for around $200?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How good are they?
They're not bad at all. I've done ribs, pulled porks, ABT's...etc in mine and it's been fairly maintenance free with easy clean up. Very convenient and easy to use too.

I use my Weber charcoal kettle for smoking too but when I don't feel like messing around with charcoal I use the Brinkmann.

you can get a mastebuilt electric smoker at home depot for just over 200 ..
and the chargriller is a great smoker ..

Since the OP was asking about electric smokers, I have split the Chargriller posts off into their own thread in the Grills & Smokers Forum titled Chargriller.

Chile, the Brinkman runs about $100 and I have heard good and bad about them. The good is that it does a good job and if you have a charcoal version you can get a conversion unit (base plate and heating element) for about $35-$40. The bad is that the heating element and/or electric cord seems to burn out rather quickly - about once a year if used on a frequent regular basis according to what I have read from the people who have them.

I have a friend that has a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker that he picked up at Cabela's a few years ago that he uses quite frequently, even during the winter, and hasn't had any problems with it - but it was $200. Cabela's has a couple of smaller and cheaper smokers Smokehouse Big Chief ($150) and the Mini-Chief ($100) that look like they might be worth looking at.

Of course - you could always make your own out of a cardboard box like Alton Brown did when he smoked salmon in:

Good Eats S4E1P2: Where There's Smoke, There's Fish

Last edited:
I think the OP needs an electric unit because I'm pretty sure his building does not allow charcoal.
Thanks mate, I've moved back home for the winter time & and I am going to be looking for another apartment in the spring that allows grills/smokers. the building I was in was too much with their rules.

Since the OP was asking about electric smokers, I have split the Chargriller posts off into their own thread in the Grills & Smokers Forum titled Chargriller.

Chile, the Brinkman runs about $100 and I have heard good and bad about them. The good is that it does a good job and if you have a charcoal version you can get a conversion unit (base plate and heating element) for about $35-$40. The bad is that the heating element and/or electric cord seems to burn out rather quickly - about once a year if used on a frequent regular basis according to what I have read from the people who have them.

I have a friend that has a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker that he picked up at Cabela's a few years ago that he uses quite frequently, even during the winter, and hasn't had any problems with it - but it was $200. Cabela's has a couple of smaller and cheaper smokers Smokehouse Big Chief ($150) and the Mini-Chief ($100) that look like they might be worth looking at.

Of course - you could always make your own out of a cardboard box like Alton Brown did when he smoked salmon in:

Good Eats S4E1P2: Where There's Smoke, There's Fish
thanks for the good eats youtube & and separating the threads mate.

Back
Top Bottom