"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 04-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #11
Sous Chef

From my experience and it's not a great deal, with smoke and wood, UB is right on the money. When I lived in Florida we'd use a lot of orange wood,(wonder why) in fish, etc. I have a friend that's a chef and he'd soak any wood he'd use first, even if it was for BBQing and then add the wood to the charcoal or other wood he was using. Cover the grill and have at it. But, personally, if you hadn't have told me it was there, I have to wonder if I would have known.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
No!! Not at all. You have it backwards!! On short cooking times...Grilling etc you will not be able to discern the difference in flavoring woods at all..Period!!! Except for maybe strong woods.(Hickory, Mesquite Walnut) and that's probably a stretch --- What I said was even on long cooking times (BBQ) unless you are a licensed, bonded, and experienced smoke addict or you fall into a very small percentage (less than 5% maybe) of the population you still aren't going to be able to distinguish the difference in the woods used to cook/flavor the food...

Have Fun!
OHH, so even grilling with hickory i should be fine cooking pork with itailian seasoning or any meat with whatever seasoning i want?

And even with long cooking times its hard to tell which wood was used. So why buy other types of wood if you cant tell? hahaha

Old 04-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884
OHH, so even grilling with hickory i should be fine cooking pork with itailian seasoning or any meat with whatever seasoning i want?
IMO... Positively Yes!!! I just grilled some Porterhouse steaks...Actually it was only one large one....DW ate the filet...I ate the strip...the "Kill Dawg" ate da bone! I would challenge anyone with the most discriminating palate to tell me what kind of flavoring wood I threw on the fire. There was a slight smokiness to the meat...some from the flavoring wood ...some from the fats that dripped onto the coals. In all fairness there are those who will claim to be able to disiguish/detect Mesquite smoke on grilled steaks...Ya know what? They probably can!! (IMO) That is some stinky stuff!! I can understand how some lonsesome cowboy, in an attempt to stave off stavation, built a fire out of Mesquite wood (that's all he could find) to cook his Jack Rabbit..What I cannot understand is why he would ever do it again!!!

Quote:
So why buy other types of wood if you cant tell? hahaha
Because it's fun.. is the short answer. Remember I never said there were not slight nuances in flavor from different types of wood..I just said that the vast majority of the populatin can't tell the difference. When they sit down to eat, they don't know what kind of flavoring wood was used...Who cares...as long as it taste good!!...

Fun!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #14
Head Chef

Ok thats cool. I know that with hickory and apple wood i can somewhat tell because goodwood BBQ company ribs taste different than mine and i know they use apple wood vs my hickory. MAYBE its the charcoal flavor that i dont like about my ribs. The minion methode i must have done wrong because when the unlite coals lighted, maybe it gave off some funky gases...????

thanx guys
Old 04-24-2009, 08:16 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
Ok thats cool. I know that with hickory and apple wood i can somewhat tell because goodwood BBQ company ribs taste different than mine and i know they use apple wood vs my hickory. MAYBE its the charcoal flavor that i dont like about my ribs. The minion method i must have done wrong because when the unlit coals lighted, maybe it gave off some funky gases...????

thanx guys
It's possible the charcoal may have given you an off flavor...There are some brands that I don't particularly like the smell of....Which blends over into what I think I can taste in the food. The Minion Method is a solid method to use for fire/temperature control over long cook times...There are those who list as a "Con"(As in Pros and Cons) the fact that the unlit charcoal briquettes not being ashed over, give the food an off taste. IMO it is mostly "Much-A-Do about nothing"!! Start your first coals in a Charcoal chimney. I advise against using liquid petroleum based charcoal starters.

Enjoy!

Old 04-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Ok thats cool. I know that with hickory and apple wood i can somewhat tell because goodwood BBQ company ribs taste different than mine and i know they use apple wood vs my hickory
Oops! Missed this part. Hickory is one of the stronger of the flavoring woods compared to say apple or cherry... However, often times it is not the type of wood used that gives foods a different...maybe an "off" taste. Rather it is the amount of smoke from the wood that's allowed to come into contact with the food/meat --- Suggest you start with small amounts of flavoring woods...Add more or less as time goes by to suit your personal taste!

Fun!