"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 04-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
Head Chef

Which wood

I am having a hard time trying to figure out what woods to use with what meats and spices on the meat..

For example, what wood would go good with italian seasoned pork shoulder. I say apple because apples go great with pork. BUT then also not all my pork dishes have italian seasonings.

Also same with flank steak. i want to stuff it with povolone cheese and monteray cheese, yellow pepper, garlic, basil, spinich, and bread crumbs. Would hickory work for that or should i use cherry.

This is where i need some education. Which spices for which wood and which spices on certain meats with which wood.

Thanx guys. i owe you one

Old 04-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
I am having a hard time trying to figure out what woods to use with what meats and spices on the meat..

For example, what wood would go good with italian seasoned pork shoulder. I say apple because apples go great with pork. BUT then also not all my pork dishes have italian seasonings.

Also same with flank steak. i want to stuff it with povolone cheese and monteray cheese, yellow pepper, garlic, basil, spinich, and bread crumbs. Would hickory work for that or should i use cherry.

This is where i need some education. Which spices for which wood and which spices on certain meats with which wood.

Thanx guys. i owe you one
I'm not sure how you go about smoking your meats.Here's a link to this forum that just might help you to decide.

Types and Uses for Woods for Smoking

I have several methods in which I use to smoke meats.Electric smoker,webber,planks,or foiled packs.Depending on what type of meats,cheeses and such I then decide what chips will be used.
Smoking meats and using spices with it is to me a personal thing.

Hickory:Use it often for just about every thing,chicken.beef.pork.It's a staple for me.

Apple:It's ok,not my personal favorite.It's a sweet tasting wood,very mild.I did like it with Salmon.

Alder:Outstanding for Tri-Tips,all kinds of beef,fish,chicken.It's not an overbearing flavor.If you make jerky.Alder is perfect for it.

Cherry: I don't care much for it.To me it has one weird taste..

Missquite:It's right up there with Hickory,Alder and one of the 3 top chips I use.You really can't go wrong with it.

What spices to use for certain types of meats,is a personal choice.

Beef Tri-Tips- Garlic Powder.Onion Powder,Seasoned Salt,Salt & Pepper.
Salmon - Salt,Pepper,fresh Lemon,cooked on a plank.
Hams- Nothing at all.
Chicken Whole Split in Half- Same beef seasonings
Bacon- No spices,Hickory smoked.

Hope this helped you out a little bit.I'm sure others here would be more than happy to suggest other ideas as well :)

Munky.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well, I would NEVER do Italian spices when smoking a pork shoulder. I would use simply salt, pepper, and olive oil and there is no other wood I would use except Hickory chunks (not those little chips either...chunks.)

If you have to put something on it I would look for a pork butt rub on the internet (sounds a little "iffy" searching that, I know! ).

I prefer no rub and then use my sauce as the added flavor. You might try basting with a vinegar/brown sugar/red pepper flake concoction though.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Beef can handle Oak and apple or cherry.
Alder is very mild works well on fish or poultry.
Hickory, pecan or fruitwoods for pork work well.
Grape vine on lamb is a good choice.
Mesquite when grilling beef.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Unless you are smoking the meat for hours you will not be able to tell the differences in different types of wood.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I tend to use pecan and hickory for pork and beef.
It is because I have a pecan tree that is quite large (it sheds limbs every time the wind gets gusty)and a number of hickory trees at the back of the field behind the house.
The pecan is in the front yard and if I belly up to it, I can't reach halfway around the trunk. I stand 6'2 and have arms to go with it.. One of these days I gotta measure that monster of a tree.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
Head Chef

The reason i ask is because from this new book i got on wood fired cooking. They took a flank steak and stuffed it with basil, oregano, fontina cheese, roasted red peppers and garlic and spinach. It is a Mediterranean dish supposedly. Then it says to start a hot fire using wood of choice and lump charcoal to grill the meat for about 35 minutes.

The reason i ask what wood for what spices is because i dont want to make it taste all funky. I imagine with grilling and using the logs or chunks as fuel, it will give it a light smoke flavor because it will only be on there 35 minutes or so.

Goodwood BBQ company gave me 5 apple wood logs for free today so i want to try those out.

Im trying to grill with wood rather than smoke but i want the right flavor of wood to go with the spices.

Thanx for the help.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Unless you are smoking the meat for hours you will not be able to tell the differences in different types of wood.
Bravo!!! Truer words have never been spoken!! Not to diminish your questions, and concerns LT72884, but when you read or hear all of this pretentious puffery describing the different nuances, flavors, bouquets etc of different woods, what you are really hearing or reading (imo) is what I call "Smoke Blowing" --- Except for a few wood species...Hickory and Mesquite being two.. 99% of the palates in the world can't distinguish what kind of wood was used to cook the food anyway --- Of greater concern (imo) to a rookie BBQer is the excessive use of smoke on foods regardless of species...Excessive smoke is offensive, bitter etc....Play with, use different woods? Yes by all means!! Have Fun! Just don't get so carried away....Leave that to the Smoke Blowers!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
Head Chef

Will do Uncle Bob.. So the longer the smoke the harder to tell which wood was used is what i take from your post and GB's post. BUT if i use it to grill with you should be able to tell which wood was used?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
Will do Uncle Bob.. So the longer the smoke the harder to tell which wood was used is what i take from your post and GB's post. BUT if i use it to grill with you should be able to tell which wood was used?
No!! Not at all. You have it backwards!! On short cooking times...Grilling etc you will not be able to discern the difference in flavoring woods at all..Period!!! Except for maybe strong woods.(Hickory, Mesquite Walnut) and that's probably a stretch --- What I said was even on long cooking times (BBQ) unless you are a licensed, bonded, and experienced smoke addict or you fall into a very small percentage (less than 5% maybe) of the population you still aren't going to be able to distinguish the difference in the woods used to cook/flavor the food...

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote