"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 12-19-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun Cook
1st Batch Of Sauerkraut

Hi,

I just started my first batch of sauerkraut tonight. I plan on canning it if it turns out good. One thing that concerns me about the canning process is that it might make for some limp, soggy kraut. Also, I have read some articles that say you can use a water bath canner while others say to use a pressure canner. Is there anyone else out there that makes their own sauerkraut that can pass along some tips?

Thank you,

Jim

Old 12-19-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
Master Chef

how long does it take for it to be ready?

Old 12-19-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey Jim..

Where ya been? Try this web site. I find that it has great information. Not sure if they discuss Kraut however. Good Luck!! And, Merry Christmas till I saw you some mo!!

National Center for Home Food Preservation

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Hi Charlie, I am using a method where you add the whey from some plain yogurt as a starter culture so it takes less time than the traditional way. The recipe says it will be ready to put in the fridge in 3 days and then let it sit in there for 3 more.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Thanx for the link Bob. I have been way busy with a new job in a new career arena. Things are starting to settle down a bit now though so i have time to get back to my food experiments. Been wanting to make sauerkraut for awhile now and finally decided to make the leap. Merry Xmas to You and Yours as well bon ami!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hey Jim..

Where ya been? Try this web site. I find that it has great information. Not sure if they discuss Kraut however. Good Luck!! And, Merry Christmas till I saw you some mo!!

National Center for Home Food Preservation
Old 12-20-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
Master Chef

Hm, maybe my saur crout is different, but mine is ready in 3 days. So I do not see need for caning the thing. Sorry couldn't be of any help.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:42 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Location: northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a waterfall
I make a huge crock of sauerkraut every year and keep it in the crock down in the basement all year long. It is sealed with wrap and has a plate and a plastic water-filled bag on top to weight it down. I just go down there throughout the winter and scoop out what I need. I made it just like my grandpa used to.
As an aside, do any of you remember that wonderfully funny episode of MASH where Frank thought the Koreans near camp were planting land mines, but they were just burying their kimchee (the Korean form of sauerkraut).
Old 12-22-2007, 10:03 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmascarol1 View Post
I make a huge crock of sauerkraut every year and keep it in the crock down in the basement all year long. It is sealed with wrap and has a plate and a plastic water-filled bag on top to weight it down. I just go down there throughout the winter and scoop out what I need. I made it just like my grandpa used to.
As an aside, do any of you remember that wonderfully funny episode of MASH where Frank thought the Koreans near camp were planting land mines, but they were just burying their kimchee (the Korean form of sauerkraut).
Thanks for the great memory. My grandfather use to make sauerkraut in his basment too. It sure had a smell all of it's own. (don't get me wrong, I loved the stuff).
Old 12-24-2007, 02:02 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Yes I do remember that episode of MASH. Always did like that show and still watch it from time to time on cable. As for the smell, I can smell it now and love it. My girlfriends two boys however have a different opinion. LOL xmascarol1, if I understand you correctly, I don't need to can it? Just keep it in the fridge and use when needed? I would prefer that over canning so the kraut has crunch and snap. Thanx y'all for your help and input.

Jim
Old 12-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmascarol1 View Post
ahh another fan of MASH! Glad I'm not alone! I love kimchee, its really good for your digestive trac, just make sure your at home the first time you have some,, you will not want to be anywhere else but home while your stomach is adjusting.

really builds up the flora in your digestive trac, helps you pull vital nutrients from your food. Doesn't matter how good the quality of your food is, if you can't absorb the nutrients your not doing yourself any good.