1st Batch Of Sauerkraut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cajun Cook

Senior Cook
Hi,

I just started my first batch of sauerkraut tonight. I plan on canning it if it turns out good. One thing that concerns me about the canning process is that it might make for some limp, soggy kraut. Also, I have read some articles that say you can use a water bath canner while others say to use a pressure canner. Is there anyone else out there that makes their own sauerkraut that can pass along some tips?

Thank you,

Jim

Hi Charlie, I am using a method where you add the whey from some plain yogurt as a starter culture so it takes less time than the traditional way. The recipe says it will be ready to put in the fridge in 3 days and then let it sit in there for 3 more.

Thanx for the link Bob. I have been way busy with a new job in a new career arena. Things are starting to settle down a bit now though so i have time to get back to my food experiments. :LOL: Been wanting to make sauerkraut for awhile now and finally decided to make the leap. Merry Xmas to You and Yours as well bon ami!

Hey Jim..

Where ya been? Try this web site. I find that it has great information. Not sure if they discuss Kraut however. Good Luck!! And, Merry Christmas till I saw you some mo!!

National Center for Home Food Preservation

Hm, maybe my saur crout is different, but mine is ready in 3 days. So I do not see need for caning the thing. Sorry couldn't be of any help.

I make a huge crock of sauerkraut every year and keep it in the crock down in the basement all year long. It is sealed with wrap and has a plate and a plastic water-filled bag on top to weight it down. I just go down there throughout the winter and scoop out what I need. I made it just like my grandpa used to.
As an aside, do any of you remember that wonderfully funny episode of MASH where Frank thought the Koreans near camp were planting land mines, but they were just burying their kimchee (the Korean form of sauerkraut).

I make a huge crock of sauerkraut every year and keep it in the crock down in the basement all year long. It is sealed with wrap and has a plate and a plastic water-filled bag on top to weight it down. I just go down there throughout the winter and scoop out what I need. I made it just like my grandpa used to.
As an aside, do any of you remember that wonderfully funny episode of MASH where Frank thought the Koreans near camp were planting land mines, but they were just burying their kimchee (the Korean form of sauerkraut).

Thanks for the great memory. My grandfather use to make sauerkraut in his basment too. It sure had a smell all of it's own. (don't get me wrong, I loved the stuff).:rolleyes:

Yes I do remember that episode of MASH. Always did like that show and still watch it from time to time on cable. As for the smell, I can smell it now and love it. My girlfriends two boys however have a different opinion. LOL xmascarol1, if I understand you correctly, I don't need to can it? Just keep it in the fridge and use when needed? I would prefer that over canning so the kraut has crunch and snap. Thanx y'all for your help and input.

Jim

ahh another fan of MASH! Glad I'm not alone! I love kimchee, its really good for your digestive trac, just make sure your at home the first time you have some,, you will not want to be anywhere else but home while your stomach is adjusting.

really builds up the flora in your digestive trac, helps you pull vital nutrients from your food. Doesn't matter how good the quality of your food is, if you can't absorb the nutrients your not doing yourself any good.

I am making my second batch of sauerkraut of the winter. I use a 4 gallon crock. It takes about 14-18 days at 72 degrees. I prefer not to can it. Just get some out of the crock when I want some.
My first batch was delicious.
Stan

:)I would love to make some kraut the old fashioned way like the Germans no canning needed.But I want to start with a 4-5 gallon ceramic crock the ones on line are really expensive I understand you can use a food grade plastic bucket but I dont want to do that.The crocks at public auctions go thru the roof in price.

Last edited:
If you get your crock, here is how I make it. I got the recipe from an elderly Aunt.
Sauer Kraut
Makes 15 pints.
15 pounds shredded cabbage. Chop however fine you like.
3/4 cup pickling salt
Mix cabbage and salt. 5 lbs. cabbage & 1/4 cup salt at a time
Mash & bruise cabbage until some juice appears.
Pack salted cabbage in 3 or 4 gallon crock or plastic bucket.
Weight down with a plate & something to hold plate down. Like a large clean stone.
Cover with cloth & large rubber band.
Let it set 14 to 18 days in room 60-70 degrees. Check often to be sure cabbage is in juice.
Stir up from the bottom a few times.
Stan

If you get your crock, here is how I make it. I got the recipe from an elderly Aunt.
Sauer Kraut
Makes 15 pints.
15 pounds shredded cabbage. Chop however fine you like.
3/4 cup pickling salt
Mix cabbage and salt. 5 lbs. cabbage & 1/4 cup salt at a time
Mash & bruise cabbage until some juice appears.
Pack salted cabbage in 3 or 4 gallon crock or plastic bucket.
Weight down with a plate & something to hold plate down. Like a large clean stone.
Cover with cloth & large rubber band.
Let it set 14 to 18 days in room 60-70 degrees. Check often to be sure cabbage is in juice.
Stir up from the bottom a few times.
:)I printed recipe hope to do it soon.Actually saurkraut is really good for you something about the fermentation something about probiotics.;)

sauerkraut

I wish I could get you one of my crocks. Anyway, a plastic bucket from a bakery will do. Here's a trick to weight it down too. fill a sturdy plastic bag with water and use that on the top of the kraut and then put a plate with a brick on it over that . The waterfilled bag seals the kraut better . Do this after the juice starts to run. You just need an inert container as the salt would eat away on such things as metal. How about finding a big class container--say 1 or 2 gallons. Then make a couple of them to get enough. Back in the 60's some of us back to the land folks, even made it in 1/2 gallon canning jars and then sealed it up from there. Be sure and make this somewhere where the juice can run over, like in a tray.

I just looked up Kraut in my ball canning book and it says to hot pack.
my other pickle book says to store in a cool place 60*F and it will keep for ever
Go figure

It will keep in a crock for a long time, but I think after 2 or 3 months it gradually becomes mushy.
I also have read that the raw (uncooked and unheated) is better for you than the cooked. Seems that the heating kills all the "good animals" that are in it.
Actually my first batch didn't last very long. I ate a lot of it and gave a lot away to friends, etc.
Stan

Back
Top Bottom