3 days pickles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Cucumbers, enough for 1 gallon jar
Garlic, 1 whole (if cloves are big you can cut them in the half)
Dill to loosely cover cower the bottom and top, 1-2 bunches (divided)
Pickling Salt 2-3 table spoons (depending on your taste, I use about 2.5)
Bay Leaves 3-4
Red hot pepper flakes about a tea spoon or less. Or whole hot peppers, like chili peppers for example, 2-4
Tap Water
If you can get hold of leaves of tart cherry or/and leaves of black currant, or/and leaves of horse radish, it would be great. Those leaves make pickles stronger/crunchier.

Start by washing the cucumbers and then to make sure pickles will be crunchy you have to hold them in the cold water for 3-4-6-8 hours prior the processing. The longer-the better. Changing the water every 2 hours. If possible. To make sure the water is plenty cold I even add ice cubes, luckly I have an Ice maker.
Now you are ready to assemble:
I use a 1 gallon jar. You can divide the recipe into smaller portions, but then I do not know how it would work, never tried small portion.
I like small to medium cucumbers. Put half of the dill, and garlic, and bay leaves on the bottom. If you have, add above mention leaves. Put 1 or 2 hot peppers, or pepper flakes. Fill the jar with cucumbers. Add garlic, salt (make sure to use pickling salt). Cover with the rest of the dill, bay leaves, and other leaves. Fill with cold tap water all the way to the top. Tighten the lid pretty tight. Shake the jar so the salt is dissolved evenly thru out. Put the jar in a bowl or some other container. For next few days during the fermentation, the water will be sipping thru the top. Make sure to clean that water so you know when the fermentation stops. 3 days, after that you can put them away. I have spare fridge so I keep them in the fridge the whole winter. My mom just keeps them in the pantry, but the problem is they continue, albeit slowly, to ferment in the warm place so she can’t keep them for too long because they became too sour.

How do I add comments to pictures?

The first picture is cucs in the sink. Second the first day, right after I put them in the jar. The third one is today morning. The 4 one was supposed to be the first, this is all I need for pickling.

P.S. I like mp pickles on more sour side, so I keep them for 5 days. But you can take one out and try, see how you like it.

Attachments

• IMG_0318[1].jpg
    IMG_0318[1].jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_0319[1].jpg
    IMG_0319[1].jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0320[1].jpg
    IMG_0320[1].jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0317[1].jpg
    IMG_0317[1].jpg
    49 KB · Views: 336
Thanks for reminding me--a friend of mine from the Sudetenland makes a marvelous 3-day pickle...I will have to email her for her recipe! I think her's has juniper berries in it.

Cucumbers, enough for 1 gallon jar
Garlic, 1 whole (if cloves are big you can cut them in the half)
Dill to loosely cover cower the bottom and top, 1-2 bunches (divided)
Pickling Salt 2-3 table spoons (depending on your taste, I use about 2.5)
Bay Leaves 3-4
Red hot pepper flakes about a tea spoon or less. Or whole hot peppers, like chili peppers for example, 2-4
Tap Water
If you can get hold of leaves of tart cherry or/and leaves of black currant, or/and leaves of horse radish, it would be great. Those leaves make pickles stronger/crunchier.

Start by washing the cucumbers and then to make sure pickles will be crunchy you have to hold them in the cold water for 3-4-6-8 hours prior the processing. The longer-the better. Changing the water every 2 hours. If possible. To make sure the water is plenty cold I even add ice cubes, luckly I have an Ice maker.
Now you are ready to assemble:
I use a 1 gallon jar. You can divide the recipe into smaller portions, but then I do not know how it would work, never tried small portion.
I like small to medium cucumbers. Put half of the dill, and garlic, and bay leaves on the bottom. If you have, add above mention leaves. Put 1 or 2 hot peppers, or pepper flakes. Fill the jar with cucumbers. Add garlic, salt (make sure to use pickling salt). Cover with the rest of the dill, bay leaves, and other leaves. Fill with cold tap water all the way to the top. Tighten the lid pretty tight. Shake the jar so the salt is dissolved evenly thru out. Put the jar in a bowl or some other container. For next few days during the fermentation, the water will be sipping thru the top. Make sure to clean that water so you know when the fermentation stops. 3 days, after that you can put them away. I have spare fridge so I keep them in the fridge the whole winter. My mom just keeps them in the pantry, but the problem is they continue, albeit slowly, to ferment in the warm place so she can’t keep them for too long because they became too sour.

How do I add comments to pictures?

The first picture is cucs in the sink. Second the first day, right after I put them in the jar. The third one is today morning. The 4 one was supposed to be the first, this is all I need for pickling.

P.S. I like mp pickles on more sour side, so I keep them for 5 days. But you can take one out and try, see how you like it.
Wouldn't wild grape leaves do the same thing (add the crunch)?

Charlie D. Thanks so Much for a lovely Thread

Buonasera, Good Evening,

This is fascinating ... I love pickles and would truly enjoy an autumn try back in Madrid ... Thanks for your pictorial and easy to follow method.

Kind regards and have a nice August,
Margi.

CW, maybe, but since I never had grape vine growing anywhere close by, I had to use what I had.

Good idea with the saran wrap, Charlie. I bring my water with the dry ingredients to a boil before pouring into the jar. I've had luck pickling halved & quartered green tomatoes the same way.

Oh, yeah, the saran wrap. Since i cannot easily buy 1 gallon jars or leads, I have been reusing the old ones for years, as you can imagine the finish inside starts to wear off, so I had to improvise.
I have tried boiling water in the past, but found out that it really doesn't make that much difference, since I keep them in the fridge, that is if they make it that far.;) Just kidding, they usually less me the whole winter.

CW, maybe, but since I never had grape vine growing anywhere close by, I had to use what I had.
I don't have access to the leaves mentioned, but have a number of old recipes of my grandma's that include a grape leaf for crunchiness...gotta use what one has on hand, I guess.:)

Oh, yeah, the saran wrap. Since i cannot easily buy 1 gallon jars or leads, I have been reusing the old ones for years, as you can imagine the finish inside starts to wear off, so I had to improvise.
I have tried boiling water in the past, but found out that it really doesn't make that much difference, since I keep them in the fridge, that is if they make it that far.;) Just kidding, they usually less me the whole winter.
After we went to the garlic festival, we stopped at "the toy store" (a place in the town where the festival was held that has used "boy toys"). One of things they had, which I didn't buy but was VERY tempted to buy, were new, never used, hospital chamber pots (enamel pots about 3 qt with lids) for $20. The sign next to them indicated they'd be good for pickles. ...

My friend is dropping by today for eggs. I hope she brings her recipe.

Sure would be nice to be able to buy stainless steel lids for some of our favorite glass jars.

I found some gallon size jars on line. It was much cheaper for me to buy cans of picles throw them away, than actually buying new jars.How crazy it is?

Yeap, that is what i did, went to Sam's got pickles, actually donated them to synagogue's dinner and then took clean jars home. To buy them on line was twice as much plus crazy shipping cost.

Fabulous-looking pickles, and the recipe sounds delicious. I especially like no-vinegar pickles, but always thought they'd be too difficult to make. Thanks for this recipe!

You are welcome Soma. I cannot stand vinegar pickles, and the No-vinegar picles are hard to come by. That is why I make my own.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom