"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 09-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
This idea of canning may need re-evaluated. I was thinking it would be nothing to whip up a couple dozen jars of sauce. Now that I know how many tomatoes I would have to buy.... hmmm....
I may need to start a garden next year.

nothing to whip up a couple dozen jars of sauce?

I only planted 15 tomato plants this year, because I only needed to can sauce. The first canning session yielded 4 pints, the next, 4 quarts. I am out of pizza sauce so I will can what tomatoes I have. Yep, it sure is a lot of work for so little yield, but canning sauce is like that..

Old 09-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Beth.

It looks like you can just the tomatoes, then turn it into whatever you want later, BBQ sauce, spaghetti sauce.... Neat idea.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks Beth.

It looks like you can just the tomatoes, then turn it into whatever you want later, BBQ sauce, spaghetti sauce.... Neat idea.
I can several different tomato products and understand my techniques can be confusing....

Today i am canning pizza sauce, I follow the recipe for pizza sauce from the Ball book, but I use my own technique of producing the tomato puree. Same with BBQ sauce. I make the finished product but modify the process. By far, the most tomato product I make is tomato juice. i add various vegetables to that, like a V-8 juice and pressure can the juice. It all goes through the blender though. The only thing I make that is not buzzed to death is chili sauce, I stop at the chunk stage in the blender.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Well I just stopped at Wally World on my way back from someplace and it looked like Ike went through their canning section. Not a jar, book, kit, lid to be found. Just some spices for pickles..... and they were mostly gone, too.

I think what I'll do is perfect a homemade sauce this year so it will be worth canning twenty jars of it. And get a garden going next year.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #15
Executive Chef

this is a little late in the canning season to be buying supplies. I stocked up on lids about one month ago and had to go to three places to find any, I was really starting to get nervous.. Wally World was my first stop and nada there.

Good plan for next year!
Old 09-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
Sorry I haven't been on since I posted that recipe. We used a variation of that recipe.
Here is a recipe that My Italian grandmother in law uses. I think it tastes great. and you can add anythiny you want to it.

Use a large pot:
ADD:
29 oz can tomatoe puree with 2 cans of water
12 oz can of tomatoe paste with 3 cans of water
Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda

add any other ingrediants and boil it down to the desired thicknes.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Mikki. I'm determined to get away from jar and canned sauces. I can't wait to give some of these recipes a try.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:43 PM   #18
Head Chef

For me, generally, I don't can many tomatoes and this is why. Even the quart of romas that were very dry when cut open, ended up being 40 % clear juice to 60% solids. Tomatoes take a long time to cook down, they use a lot of MY energy and that from my gas stove before I even start canning them. Between the cost of growing them, the gas for the stove, my time, and the lids, I can buy some good substitutes for less on sale. Diced tomatoes and spaghetti sauce are pretty inexpensive in the winter. Instead I dehydrate them for the most part, it's not labor intensive, and I don't have to sweat the day away, I usually get it done in the evening and put them away the next day. They retain that 'summer tomato' taste and smell and take up less room.
Now I'm not against canning at all, in fact I think it is one of the best ways to preserve food overall because once they are canned, then no operating costs that you might have with a freezer. I can lots of other things, meats, poultry, pickles, jams, relishes, veggies...just not tomatoes, and part of that is canning tomatoes with my mom for years and I tried it again 5 years ago and decided that my time was worth more than the trouble for the $$.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

That has certainly crossed my mind blissful. Thanks for your input

And you know..... I wasn't all that upset when I found Wally World was out of canning supplies. Not when I found how low a yield you get for the amount of tomatoes I would need to get, but growing your own I think would be different. You get the sense of accomplishment from growing your own (I'm hoping) and you typically have a lot of tomatoes and veggies to use up if you plant that many.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #20
Master Chef

Not every Walmart carries canning supplies. Those that do will usually carry them as a "seasonal" item - and that can be a strange season sometimes ... I know the store where my son works doesn't get canning stuff in until somewhere between October-Jan and has it cleared off the shelves before June!

You can order one online and they will ship it to your local store for free. They have both the Ball water canner starter kit and a pressure canner.

You will see several of us keep referring folks to the National Center for Home Food Preservation for a reason ... they have the current accepted methods and a lot of information for free. I have the also often referrred to Ball Blue Book - but I use both resources. Go to the NCHFP site, and then under How Do I? (on the left hand side of the page) click on Can for general information on canning, then you can click on Canning Tomatoes and Tomato Products and then click on what you want to can. They will tell you how many pounds of tomatoes it will take to make what quantity of that product (along with instructions for the procedure and sometimes a recips), such as this for Standard Tomato Sauce:

"Quantity: For thin sauce An average of 35 pounds is needed per canner load of 7 quarts; an average of 21 pounds is needed per canner load of 9 pints. A bushel weighs 53 pounds and yields 10 to 12 quarts of sauce-an average of 5 pounds per quart.

For thick sauce An average of 46 pounds is needed per canner load of 7 quarts; an average of 28 pounds is needed per canner load of 9 pints. A bushel weighs 53 pounds and yields 7 to 9 quarts of sauce-an average of 6 pounds per quart."

Canning supplies like jars, lids, pectin and pickling spices I got at the Albertson's grocery store down the street from where I lived if Walmart didn't have them in stock. They were as cheap as anywhere else in town - by the time you figured in gas and driving time. If they didn't have what I wanted I could go about another 1/2 miles to the Tom Thumb - they carried canning supplies year round, too.

I have to admit - if you are not growing them yourself it's cheaper to buy them already canned.

Hope this helps you some ....