"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 09-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

A couple questions on canning

I'm thinking of making my own spaghetti sauce and might as well go all the way, make a lot and can it.

How many lbs of tomatoes makes how much sauce? So I know how many jars to get.

Is there any reason I couldn't use a large pot for the water bath method? Why do people have canning pots? What is the difference?

I've read to leave the seeds, I've read to seed the tomatoes. I'll probably try both ways at first and see if I notice a difference.... but you always want to skin the tomatoes, right?

That you for any guidance.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
Here is the recipe out of the Ball Blue Book
SEASONED TOMATOE SAUCE
(yields about 14 pints or 7 quarts)

lbs of tomatoes 1 Tbsp black pepper
6 C chopped onion 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
12 cloves garlic 1/4 cup salt (optional)
1/2 C olive oil 2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
2 Tbsp oregano bottled lemon juice
6 bay leaves

Wash tomatoes; drai. Remove core and blossom ends. Cut into quaters; set aside. Saute' onions and garlic in olive oil in a large sauce pot. Add tomatoes oregano, bay leaves, black pepper and sugar. Stir in salt and red peppers. Simmer for 20 minutes, stiring occasionally. Remove bay leaves. Puree tomatoes using a food processor or food mill. Strain puree to remove peels and seeds. Cook pulp in a large, uncovered saucepot over medium heat until sauce thickens, stirring to prevent sticking. Reduce volum by one-half. Add 1 Tablespoon bottled lemon juice to each pint jar, 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice to each quart jar. Ladle hot sauce into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. adjust two piece caps. Process pints 35 minutes, quarts 40 minutes, in bioling-water canner.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Hi Pacanis,

I don't know much about canning, but, I know a bit about Spagetti sauce. How are you fixed for freezer space? I make up a big pot of sauce, Then I put enough for a meal in a quart zip lock and freeze it. Should be go for 6 months or better. When I want a meal, I just take out a bag, cut and peel the zip lock off and heat it in a pot.

Mom used to can things, I have read a few threads here about water bath and pressure canning. Which method depends on the acidity of what youare canning. Tomato products seem to be on the fence type things.

If you have the freezer space it seems like less work.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:52 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for that recipe Mikki. Is that how you do it?

I was thinking of merely freezing, too, AC. My meal planning is so haphazard that I would like a jar sauce that's ready to go. I used to buy jar sauce, but everyone said I might as well make my own. So I was trying to learn more about that. Then everyone was saying that this Hunt's Traditional was good, but to be honest, I can't stand the taste of it and haven't found a good way to "reseason" it yet. With tomato season closing I want to make up a bunch of jars that I can open and adjust myself if needed without relying on store bought sauce. Why not (lol). I'll probably freeze some too though, just to see if there's a difference.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:29 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I agree on the Hunts Pacanis...
We used to eat it all the time until I started making / freezing my own...
Hunts was on sale last week so I got a few for emergency dinners.
YUCK! They musta changed it, I dont remember it tasting like...... that.
When I am in a hurry with my frozen stuff it doesn't take too long to thaw...
I freeze in Gladware, plop the hunka frozen sauce in a pot and cover... leave on med awhile, it's usualy ready by the time the pasta's done if I start the water for it at the same time as the sauce.
Wow that was a really long post, not even about canning....
sorry.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
Head Chef

Water bath canning can be used for tomato items if you add lemon juice for added acidity.

Quote:
Is there any reason I couldn't use a large pot for the water bath method? Why do people have canning pots? What is the difference?
Other than size and a canning rack, there isn't any difference that I am aware of. I use a large enamelware "corn" pot that I found at an estate sale. I just sink a towel on the bottom to protect my jars. I just read that you can use a round cooling rack to do the same thing.

I'm a fan of freezing except when it comes to tomato "stuff". I think the flavor is the same whether you can or freeze so I save my freezer for things I can't / don't can (like the plethora of squash, beans and brussel sprouts I'm pulling out of my garden). I can tomatoes, salsa and sauce. I'm thinking of trying vegetable juice this year depending on how many tomatoes I end up with.

I asked the same question last year about seeding and skinning and got mixed reviews. I still skin and in the process of cutting them, squeeze about 1/2 of the seeds out. I don't spend alot of time digging them all out so invariably, there are seeds in my products. I've never noticed a difference in taste.

I think that's all I have to offer ...

Good luck!
Old 09-15-2008, 12:23 AM   #7
Head Chef

How to make and can homemade spaghetti sauce from fresh tomatoes - easy and illustrated!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:40 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks JM. I think I'll at least skin them and give them a squeeze. I'm going to use my stick blender anyway, so any seeds should be pureed. The towel in the bottom of the pot is a great tip.

That's one of the links I saved mcnerd. All that info and they don't even give you an idea on how many jars you'll need.... just 20 lbs of tomatoes.

Hopefully a tomato canner will pop in and let me know. I'd like to pick up my supplies today.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:48 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Found it! I'll post this for anyone else that doesn't know.
If you have 10 lbs of tomatoes that you are making into sauce, you will need 4-pint jars...... That seems like a lot of work for just 4 jars of sauce. And in my case I would have to buy the tomatoes. This idea of canning may need re-evaluated. I was thinking it would be nothing to whip up a couple dozen jars of sauce. Now that I know how many tomatoes I would have to buy.... hmmm....
I may need to start a garden next year.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Reducing Tomatoes to Can Sauce, Ketchup etc

this is the method I still use, am canning this sauce today....let me know if you have any questions..