Air bubbles in thicker sauces?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
I'm pretty new to canning. This is my first year. I am aware that bubbles are undesirable because they can cause problems in the preservation process. I don't know if they are absolutely prohibited though.

I just canned 4 pints of apple butter and 5 quarts of apple sauce. My family likes both of those a bit thick. I tried to eliminate all the bubbles but there were still a few small bubbles. I processed for extra time (30 minutes at 5000 feet) but I'm not sure if this is a major problem or not.

I suppose I can crack them open, add more liquid and then reprocess if it's necessary.

They aren't enough of a problem to redo the canning. They may just cause some discoloration where they contact the food. Put those jars in the front of the pantry and use up first.

Be careful with making them too thick or you can potentially create a situation where heat cannot properly penetrate to the center to kill bacteria. This is why pumpkin puree cannot be safely canned.

...Be careful with making them too thick or you can potentially create a situation where heat cannot properly penetrate to the center to kill bacteria. This is why pumpkin puree cannot be safely canned.
I didn't know that mcnerd. I guess Libby's canned pumpkin is okay because it's a different canning process.

Back
Top Bottom