Anyone know how to make pickled beans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abby

Assistant Cook
Does anyone make pickled green beans? I would like to make some in canning jars rather than a crock but not sure how to do it. Any advice? Thanks.

Does anyone make pickled green beans? I would like to make some in canning jars rather than a crock but not sure how to do it. Any advice? Thanks.

Here's a recipe I've been canning for years and everyone raves about these beans. I always make extra so I can give them to my friends. This comes from the BALL CANNING COMPANY and is one of the best recipes ever. I doubled the amount of garlic from the original recipe because I like the taste the extra garlic gives. Apparently so does everyone else. :) Don't eliminate the cayenne pepper. It gives these beans a wonderful kick without the heat.

DILLED PICKLED GREEN BEANS

2 lbs trimmed green beans washed thoroughly
4 heads fresh dill or 8 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
8 cloves garlic
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 c salt
2 ½ c vinegar (half white, half apple cider vinegar)
2 ½ c water

Pack the beans into 4 pint jars, either in bite size pieces or as whole beans packed in jar lenghwise. (Note: It is safe to pack beans in the jar whole when they are to be pickled, because they are preserved by the acid in the vinegar brine, not the heat treatment which preserves pressure canned green beans.)

To each jar, add: 1/4 tsp cayenne, 2 peeled cloves garlic, and 1 head dill or 2 Tbsp. chopped dill.

Combine the salt, vinegar, and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour it over the beans in jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Press down to remove air bubbles. Seal jars and process in boiling water canner for 10 minutes.

Thanks for the recipe, can't wait to try it. Have you heard of a recipe for pickled beans that is made without vinegar? I understand you make it similar to kraut but I'm afraid to try it without a recipe. You can make them in a crock or in canning jars. Thanks again!

Personally I would stick with the pickled beans recipe provided above, but since you asked, here is what I found:

Brined Snap Beans

2 pounds tender young snap beans, trimmed
6 small dried chile peppers
6 garlic cloves, chopped
12 black peppercorns, crushed
6 dill heads
1/2 cup pickling salt
3 quarts water
1. Layer beans, chile peppers, garlic, peppercorns and dill in a 1-gallon jar. Dissolve salt in the water and pour enough brine over the beans to cover them. Push a freezer bag into the mouth of the jar and pour the remaining brine into the bag. Seal the bag. Store at room temperature.
2. Within 3 days you should see tiny bubbles rising. If scum forms on top of the brine, skim it off daily and rinse off the brine bag.
3. Pickles should be ready in about 2 weeks, when the bubbling has stopped and the beans taste sour. Remove brine bag, skim off any scum, and cap the jar. Refrigerate.

From the Joy of Pickling

Thanks mcnerd. That sounds like a recipe my DH will like. I'm also going to make dramaQueen's recipe. Thanks for taking time to reply.

Just remember when trying the brining recipe that the beans MUST always be kept beneath the solution at all times (that's what the fluid-filled bag does) and not exposed to the air where bacteria can grow.

Here's a recipe I've been canning for years and everyone raves about these beans. I always make extra so I can give them to my friends. This comes from the BALL CANNING COMPANY and is one of the best recipes ever. I doubled the amount of garlic from the original recipe because I like the taste the extra garlic gives. Apparently so does everyone else. :) Don't eliminate the cayenne pepper. It gives these beans a wonderful kick without the heat.

DILLED PICKLED GREEN BEANS

2 lbs trimmed green beans washed thoroughly
4 heads fresh dill or 8 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
8 cloves garlic
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 c salt
2 ½ c vinegar (half white, half apple cider vinegar)
2 ½ c water

Pack the beans into 4 pint jars, either in bite size pieces or as whole beans packed in jar lenghwise. (Note: It is safe to pack beans in the jar whole when they are to be pickled, because they are preserved by the acid in the vinegar brine, not the heat treatment which preserves pressure canned green beans.)

To each jar, add: 1/4 tsp cayenne, 2 peeled cloves garlic, and 1 head dill or 2 Tbsp. chopped dill.

Combine the salt, vinegar, and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour it over the beans in jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Press down to remove air bubbles. Seal jars and process in boiling water canner for 10 minutes.

Hmmm, another recipe that goes straight to my to do list.

Back
Top Bottom