Apple Mint Jelly - Too Acidic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphellae

Head Chef
I made an apple mint jelly this morning and tasted it before putting it into jars.. it is so acidic! Should I have put less cider vinegar? Here is the recipe below. Will it get less acidic as it sets?

3 lbs firm, tart apples
1 lemon
1 small bunch of fresh mint, roughly chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
1 cup cider vinegar
sugar (equal to amount of juice produced after straining overnight)

I used granny smith apples. Also, I used enough water during the first boil to just cover the fruit. Maybe I will make an apple basil jelly instead next time.

If you want to keep it, maybe just dump it all back into a pot, add lots more apple juice/sugar, boil; put back into jars.

Hmm.. I'm not a fan of recanning, as it is iffy. I think I'll just warm it up, add fresh apples and sugar, and serve it on meat. So it is more like a glaze/sauce...
Thanks!

Just finished making cranberry butter, and plum butter. Mmmmmmmmmm.

I've never heard of such a canning recipe with lemon juice and cider vinegar. Might be someone's effort to "acidify" that much mint leaves, which I would not recommend anyway. Most canning recipes shy away from use of fresh herbs for safety reasons.

I would assume that the mint is strained out before canning????

Yes, because it is a jelly the mixture is left to strain overnight through cheesecloth. There are no solid pieces, only juice.

Back
Top Bottom