"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 09-23-2006, 03:19 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Them's a lot of apples, Alix. I realize the topic is in Canning and Preserving, but how about making apple juice and also using the juice to saute brats & serve with sauerkraut. Might save you some freezer space. I have some lovely apple recipes, if you're interested. Maybe start a topic for apple recipes.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:43 PM   #12
Everymom

I'm going to go do that right now mish. Thanks! I made 3 pies and 3 jars of applesauce today. Doesn't sound like much but I'm bushed. LOL. I barely made a dent in this box of apples. I think I maybe used 1/4 of them.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:45 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I just won't have room in the freezer so am looking for an alternative

Ahem Alix. I have a great alternative for you.
Send the applesauce to me !!!!!
Old 09-23-2006, 07:58 PM   #14
Everymom

You know middie, I might just do that! PM me your address and I'll see about sending some! LOL, might be a wee bit icky by the time it gets there though!
Old 09-24-2006, 02:45 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Thank you Michael! For some reason 1 inch above and 1 inch below get reversed in my brain and I was darned if I could find that reference. (Got some coffee going now!)
Actually, you need an inch above and below! The jars should be sitting on a rack to keep them from sitting directly on the bottom of the pot.

Quote:
Have you ever personally canned applesauce? I haven't. I've done jam and pickles and salsa and tomato sauce but this one is a first for me.

Yep - I use the recipe from the Ball book link I gave you. If you just pull off the stem and use a paring knive to cut out the blossom end (like if you were cutting eyes out of potatoes) .... and then chop the apples and cook and then use a strainer or food mill to remove the core, seeds, and skins ... the applesauce will not be as runny as if you peel and core then first.

And, with just a little modification to sugar, spices and cooking time ... you get apple butter!
Old 09-24-2006, 11:10 AM   #16
Everymom

Apple butter? Whats that?
Old 09-24-2006, 03:37 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Have you concidered putting the apple sauce in freezer bags and freezing them flat, they take up less room, just stack the flat or on there ends.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #18
Everymom

I have Elf, thanks. I am getting farm chickens in next month so I will have a VERY full freezer and no room for the applesauce.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:02 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Apple butter? Whats that?
Basically - it's apple sauce taken to the next level ... apple sauce with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and/or allspice - and a lot of sugar; cooked to a gelling stage - makes a soft fruit spread a little softer than jam, and not as firm as jelly.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:33 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I do my applesauce in a hot water bath.. freezing is great too.. BUT, want to do something fun with it?.. for some of the applesauce.. put some red cinnamon candies in the mixture while its cooking.... oh my goodness its GREAT.. and such a pretty color to, the kids LOVE it.. and very pretty in the canning jar! :)