Applesauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, I just got about 20lbs of apples from a friends tree and while they are still so fresh and crisp that we are eating them by the handful I know that I am going to have a job and a half ahead of me.

I'm planning on buying some disposable pie tins and making a bunch of apple pies to freeze. I thought also about making a bunch of applesauce to keep for later.

The questions iare, do I have to use a pressure canner to process it? Can I add lemon juice to bump up the acidity level? or perhaps a ton of sugar to inhibit the bugs?

Thanks all!

I think I'd make it easy on yourself and make the applesauce in the crockpot and then put it in the freezer. Here's a recipe I developed some time ago:

KATIE’S PINK CROCKPOT APPLESAUCE
(Serves 8)​
8 medium Granny Smith apples,
peeled and cut into fourths
½ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup tiny red cinnamon candies
¾ cup apple cider
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt

In a 3½-quart or larger crockpot, mix all ingredients.
Cover and cook on HIGH for about 1½ to 2 hours or until the apples are just beginning to get tender. Remove lid and stir with a wooden spoon to break up larger chunks. Serve warm or chilled. Note: This applesauce can be frozen in airtight containers for up to three months.

Depending on the type of apples you have, you might have to adjust the sugar. Granny Smith's are a bit tart.

Oh thanks Katie! Cool recipe. I generally just stew my apples and add a bit of cinnamon and sugar.

I would generally just put it in the freezer, but the freezer is getting pretty full. If I have several pies going in there, I won't have room for applesauce containers too. And I know that the farm chickens are coming...yada yada...you don't need my whole story. I just won't have room in the freezer so am looking for an alternative.

Thank you Katie. Big hugs and smooches to you!

Edit: One more question.

Water supposed to cover the whole jar and lid? or not? I can't find that reference.

Last edited:
Alix, here is the recipe from the Ball Blue Book that I use for applesauce. Here is another that is a little different - but with a little more info on quantity and yield, and sugar content.

As far as the water in the canner - it needs to be a minimum of 1-inch above the top of the jars throughout the processing - I generally start with 1.5-2 inches.

Thank you Michael! For some reason 1 inch above and 1 inch below get reversed in my brain and I was darned if I could find that reference. (Got some coffee going now!)

I knew you would be along to give me the correct info. Thanks for being so good with all of this stuff.

Have you ever personally canned applesauce? I haven't. I've done jam and pickles and salsa and tomato sauce but this one is a first for me.

Them's a lot of apples, Alix. I realize the topic is in Canning and Preserving, but how about making apple juice and also using the juice to saute brats & serve with sauerkraut. Might save you some freezer space. I have some lovely apple recipes, if you're interested. Maybe start a topic for apple recipes.

I'm going to go do that right now mish. Thanks! I made 3 pies and 3 jars of applesauce today. Doesn't sound like much but I'm bushed. LOL. I barely made a dent in this box of apples. I think I maybe used 1/4 of them.

I just won't have room in the freezer so am looking for an alternative

Ahem Alix. I have a great alternative for you.
Send the applesauce to me !!!!!

You know middie, I might just do that! PM me your address and I'll see about sending some! LOL, might be a wee bit icky by the time it gets there though!

Alix said:
Thank you Michael! For some reason 1 inch above and 1 inch below get reversed in my brain and I was darned if I could find that reference. (Got some coffee going now!)

Actually, you need an inch above and below! The jars should be sitting on a rack to keep them from sitting directly on the bottom of the pot.

Alix said:
Have you ever personally canned applesauce? I haven't. I've done jam and pickles and salsa and tomato sauce but this one is a first for me.
Yep - I use the recipe from the Ball book link I gave you. If you just pull off the stem and use a paring knive to cut out the blossom end (like if you were cutting eyes out of potatoes) .... and then chop the apples and cook and then use a strainer or food mill to remove the core, seeds, and skins ... the applesauce will not be as runny as if you peel and core then first.

And, with just a little modification to sugar, spices and cooking time ... you get apple butter!

I have Elf, thanks. I am getting farm chickens in next month so I will have a VERY full freezer and no room for the applesauce.

Alix said:
Apple butter? Whats that?

Basically - it's apple sauce taken to the next level ... apple sauce with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and/or allspice - and a lot of sugar; cooked to a gelling stage - makes a soft fruit spread a little softer than jam, and not as firm as jelly.

I do my applesauce in a hot water bath.. freezing is great too.. BUT, want to do something fun with it?.. for some of the applesauce.. put some red cinnamon candies in the mixture while its cooking.... oh my goodness its GREAT.. and such a pretty color to, the kids LOVE it.. and very pretty in the canning jar! :)

Back
Top Bottom