"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 09-22-2006, 11:41 AM   #1
Everymom

Applesauce

OK, I just got about 20lbs of apples from a friends tree and while they are still so fresh and crisp that we are eating them by the handful I know that I am going to have a job and a half ahead of me.

I'm planning on buying some disposable pie tins and making a bunch of apple pies to freeze. I thought also about making a bunch of applesauce to keep for later.

The questions iare, do I have to use a pressure canner to process it? Can I add lemon juice to bump up the acidity level? or perhaps a ton of sugar to inhibit the bugs?

Thanks all!

Old 09-22-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I think I'd make it easy on yourself and make the applesauce in the crockpot and then put it in the freezer. Here's a recipe I developed some time ago:

KATIE’S PINK CROCKPOT APPLESAUCE
(Serves 8)
8 medium Granny Smith apples,
peeled and cut into fourths
cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup tiny red cinnamon candies
cup apple cider
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
tsp. ground cinnamon
tsp. salt

In a 3-quart or larger crockpot, mix all ingredients.
Cover and cook on HIGH for about 1 to 2 hours or until the apples are just beginning to get tender. Remove lid and stir with a wooden spoon to break up larger chunks. Serve warm or chilled. Note: This applesauce can be frozen in airtight containers for up to three months.

Depending on the type of apples you have, you might have to adjust the sugar. Granny Smith's are a bit tart.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
Everymom

Oh thanks Katie! Cool recipe. I generally just stew my apples and add a bit of cinnamon and sugar.

I would generally just put it in the freezer, but the freezer is getting pretty full. If I have several pies going in there, I won't have room for applesauce containers too. And I know that the farm chickens are coming...yada yada...you don't need my whole story. I just won't have room in the freezer so am looking for an alternative.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:44 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Alix you could can the sauce, too, if you don't have the freezer space. Just follow basic canning instructions for canning applesauce.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:07 PM   #5
Everymom

Is that pressure canning though or just hot water bath?
Old 09-22-2006, 01:25 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hot-water bath, with pints and quarts at 20 minutes for both.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:30 PM   #7
Everymom

Thank you Katie. Big hugs and smooches to you!

Edit: One more question.

Water supposed to cover the whole jar and lid? or not? I can't find that reference.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:22 AM   #8
Master Chef

Alix, here is the recipe from the Ball Blue Book that I use for applesauce. Here is another that is a little different - but with a little more info on quantity and yield, and sugar content.

As far as the water in the canner - it needs to be a minimum of 1-inch above the top of the jars throughout the processing - I generally start with 1.5-2 inches.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
Everymom

Thank you Michael! For some reason 1 inch above and 1 inch below get reversed in my brain and I was darned if I could find that reference. (Got some coffee going now!)

I knew you would be along to give me the correct info. Thanks for being so good with all of this stuff.

Have you ever personally canned applesauce? I haven't. I've done jam and pickles and salsa and tomato sauce but this one is a first for me.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:06 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Michael in FtW gave you the answer I would've. I use the same Ball Blue Book for my canning info. Enjoy your apples.