Applesauce from pears?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffin3

Senior Cook
I've just been given a lot of bartlett pears that need to have something done with them right now!
Has anyone made like an applesauce from pears? Are there some special things I'd need to do to them.
I don't want to 'preserve' them. Just maybe freeze the sauce in small Ziplocks.

I've made pear butter, it's like apple butter. Cook it low and slow to make sure it doesn't burn. A crockpot works well. You can then bag or jar it up and freeze it.

I've just been given a lot of bartlett pears that need to have something done with them right now!
Has anyone made like an applesauce from pears? Are there some special things I'd need to do to them.
I don't want to 'preserve' them. Just maybe freeze the sauce in small Ziplocks.

Lucky you. I'll take some off your hands:D

You could make a pear upside down cake.
Mock Munky Bread
Pear coffee cakes.Made in mini muffin pans.They can be frozen.

Pears instead of apples in a pie are wonderful. Poached pears with chocolate sauce is a yummy way to use pears. Lice, poach in simple syrup, then into the freezer bag and freeze for your very own pears to be used in smoothies, with ice cream, in cobblers, betty's, cakes, pies, fools, and trifles. Ever add chunks of pears to a fruit parfait? Very tasty.

As was mentioned by some of our distinguished members, pear butter, and pear sauce. Use the pears in a delicious fruit salad with banana, cherries, melon cubes, blueberries, etc., all swimming in a fruity syrup.

Don't forget that the pear juice, after cooking the pears, can be made into a cold, and very refreshing beverage, with a touch of cinnamon added, or freeze in a sheet pan to make shaved pear ice.

If you have popsicle molds, add pairs that have been pureed into plain greek yogurt, sweetened with the pear syrup, and freeze into yogurt pops.

If they get over ripe, invite you kids over to your back yard, and have a squishy pear fight. Trust me, it's less painful than crab apple fights, or bb-gun fights, or... Don't ask me how I know this.:angel: Make sure you have a hose ready for clean-up.:LOL:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks for all the good advice.
We added some tart apples to the pears and made a bunch of delicious pear-apple butter which we put in small Ziplocks and froze. We'll use it over the winter months.
We saved a liter in the fridge. Today we're picking up half a lamb cut wrapped and frozen.
Rack of lamb this weekend with the pear apple butter!
Thanks again.

Thanks for all the good advice.
We added some tart apples to the pears and made a bunch of delicious pear-apple butter which we put in small Ziplocks and froze. We'll use it over the winter months.
We saved a liter in the fridge. Today we're picking up half a lamb cut wrapped and frozen.
Rack of lamb this weekend with the pear apple butter!
Thanks again.

What's your address again, and do I need to bring my own chair!:LOL:

Sounds really good.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom