Avgolemono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myrab51

Assistant Cook
I was wondering if it is safe to can avgolemono soup. The ingredients are chicken broth, lemon juice, rice, egg, and shredded chicken. If so, how would it be processed? I searched all over Google, but couldn't find anything specific. I am not experienced enough to wing it.

I was wondering if it is safe to can avgolemono soup. The ingredients are chicken broth, lemon juice, rice, egg, and shredded chicken. If so, how would it be processed? I searched all over Google, but couldn't find anything specific. I am not experienced enough to wing it.

As an alternative, consider freezing the soup before adding the egg and lemon (plain old chicken soup). Then reheat and add the egg and lemon.

We actually do a lot of freezing as well.

I mainly want to can it so it will be easy for my kids to pour and heat. We are constantly running with band, clubs, and other activities. There are nights that we need meals that only take a few minutes to deal with and eat so we can get back out the door.

This soup just happens to be my younger daughter's favorite, so I was hoping to be able to jar some up for her. :)

If there is a microwave available wherever she is going, then freezing would be the way to go. Otherwise, go to the Ball Blue Book on canning. You can look for recipes in the following: Recipes

The Ball Blue Book on canning is full of so much information regarding safe storage of foods. I, in a moment of stupidity gave mine away. I have always regretted it and swear someday I am going to get me a new one. Someday. :angel:

We live out in the Florida woods. Storms and power outages are an issue. We had an outage this winter, and it took five days and a call to the service commission to get them to come fix it. We lost power for two weeks a couple of years back when a hurricane came close. Day long outages are pretty routine. We do freeze, but doing too much is just setting ourselves up for loss.

I'd really specifically like to know about canning. I'll dig through my Ball book some more to see if I can figure it out. Thanks for your responses.

According to the Pennsylvania Extension Service, you cannot safely can soups containing rice or noodles because they interfere with the heat getting to the center of the jar. You can add them at serving time.

More information is here: http://extension.psu.edu/food/preservation/news/2012/making-soup-safely

If you have an outdoor grill or camp stove, you can make the rice on that when you need to.

We live out in the Florida woods. Storms and power outages are an issue. We had an outage this winter, and it took five days and a call to the service commission to get them to come fix it. We lost power for two weeks a couple of years back when a hurricane came close. Day long outages are pretty routine. We do freeze, but doing too much is just setting ourselves up for loss.

I'd really specifically like to know about canning. I'll dig through my Ball book some more to see if I can figure it out. Thanks for your responses.

A generator is your friend!:)

Back
Top Bottom