"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Old 02-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
BBQ Sauce?

I just found this forum, and hope you can help.
Here is my BBQ Sauce recipe:

cup cider vinegar
7 oz. can Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (I like La Costena brand)
6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
cup molasses
cup honey
cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1 tablespoon Ancho chili pepper
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
teaspoon ground cloves
4 cups ketchup
  • Add vinegar and Chipotle peppers in Adobo to a blender and blend on high until peppers are liquefied.
  • Combine everything in a medium sauce pot, bring to a bowl, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Use care to avoid burning sauce when bringing to a boil.
  • Season with salt and pepper as needed.
I really want to be able to can this stuff, I already have as matter fact. My first canning attempt. The reason I want can is the recipe makes 5 cups or so, way too much for one sitting. Further It's nice to have on the shelf for spur of the moment.

Basicly what I did was sterilize everything, made sauce, filled jars, capped jars and then submerged in water bath (200 deg f) for 25 minutes, removed and let cool. Jars sealed as they should.

Am I OK?

m44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
Master Chef
Your recipe appears to have enough acid and sugar to make using a "boiling water canner" sufficient. Once you have cooked your sauce and filled your jars (you are leaving a headspace aren't you?) and placing them into the water bath ... once the water begins to boil - then you start timing.

You didn't state where you live in your profile ... so it's impossible to give you a better guess than ... in boiling water somewhere between 20-35 minutes per pint. Altitude affects the boiling point of water ... the higher the altitude the lower the boiling point - and thus a longer processing time.

You might check out this page on BBQ Sauce on the National Center for Home Food Preservation website which has all kinds of food preseration information.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
Live near Washington, DC, I did leave headspace
m44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
Sous Chef
You can can it--10 minutes should be plenty. I make a sauce verysimilar. It stays on the pantry shelf, right next to the mustards and ketchup. If you want, you can keep it in the fridge. It won't spoil.
Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:47 PM   #5
That sounds like great BBQ sauce
americanwit is offline   Reply With Quote