Best way to freeze rhubarb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
My rhubarb is starting to kick in.
Unfortunately, my strawberries are about 1 month behind.
I read that you can freeze rhubarb for later use, but the instructions vary.

So, my question is, whats the best way to freeze rhubarb for later use ( in the relatively near future)?

I've seen blanching vs not blanching.
Storing in a syrup, fruit juice, or nothing.
All have suggested pre cutting ( which makes sense ).

So, this is my first time working with rhubarb, so I need a little help here.

Thanks.

I wash it, cut it in 1/2 inch pieces, freeze in bags, 2 cups each or as your recipe says.

Never blanch it when I freeze it, when I can it is in a syrup of sugar and rhubarb juices ( the juice the rhubarb releases). Have you ever tried to make Rhubarb cordial?

I never understood rhubarb and strawberry pie, rhubarb is lovely by it self in pies, cakes and other desserts.

Wash, chop, freeze. I've done it for years. If you have a vacuum sealer, even better.

Rhubarb tea is great, just cook up rhubarb for a long time until it gives up its juices, strain, and store in fridge. No sugar or water needed.

Last edited:
Sandwich size freezer bags are perfect for 2 cups of rhubarb (washed,chopped,bagged).

I have several recipes I make with rhubarb and I throw in the frozen as is and they comes out wonderful. Cakes, Bifana (chutney).

But don't defrost before, just throw in frozen! Although I'm sure there must be a recipe that says to defrost, so far I have not come across one.

Yes to wash, chop, freeze. Do not thaw when using.

I cut most in 1/2 inch size and some in finer/ 1/4 inch size for muffins.

Rhubarb was the first plant I saw coming up in the garden this spring. Still pretty small and will be awhile before cutting some. That's ok, I can wait and the rabbits don't seem to like it, so we're good.

Here's a good web site for inspiration.

Rhubarb Recipes | The Rhubarb Compendium

Thanks for the link, Whiska! Exploring soon!

Larry, another favourite is just a compote, sugar (white, brown, agave, whatever sweetener is your preference) rhubarb... cook up a pot and eat right out of the pot, or on ice cream or out of the jar or.. :pig:

Larry: Do you need recipes?? I have a few!

That would be much appreciated.

At this point Ill take anything I can get.
I won't have a huge abundance this year, as its the first year I can actually harvest. But, if i like what i taste, I'll even get store bought rhubarb to play with to prepare myself for next years ( hopefully larger ) harvest.

I only had rhubarb twice. Once in pie form ( probably piggy backed with another fruit, can't remember), and once in tea form. Both I remember liking a lot. It was years ago. Now that I have my own, ill be more experimental.

One of my favorite things about it, is that it is one of the first / earliest things to harvest out of the garden, so it extends my garden season by being available. And being a perennial, its so little effort.

Thanks again.

Larry

I'm a rhubarb purist. I prefer mine without strawberries. Growing up in the Great White North, we had it at almost every meal. Stewed rhubarb was a staple on my grandma's table.

I make Victoria Sauce with rhubarb, a recipe from the Blue Ball Canning Book. It goes great with roast beef and pork and my neighbor even puts it on ice-cream.

Puyallup, WA is the world's largest supplier of commercial rhubarb and see they are in the middle of the harvest right now. It's the red variety. We grew up with green and I have one green plant that was given to me from plants brought on the Oregon Trail to Ellensburg, so I was told.

Rhubarb pie (without strawberries) is my favorite pie.

Im excited just because its all so new to me.
I've cooked with so many fruits and veggies, but rhubarb was never really on my list of things to experiment with. The plants were inexpensive and I had room in the garden, so I figured what the heck. I left them alone first year or two, and now Im amazed by the amount of growth there is. Also, its pickable much earlier than most of the other stuff in the garden. Being a perennial is great too, cause i don't have too much to do other than wait for it to pop up.

You can also wear the leaves in lieu of a hat. Don't eat the leaves though, a bit of poisonous oxalic acid there. The stalks are fine. We used to yank them out and dip them raw, in sugar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom