Blackberry jam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
I just scored 4 quarts of the most beautiful blackberries, grown on a plantation right around the corner from my house! I'm going to make some jam, but thought I'd snazz it up a bit by adding some ? maybe orange rind, ? lemon rind, ? pecans?

What do you think?

I have had terrible trouble posting this! Anyhow.......

The best blackberry jam I have ever had was when I was at university. My flatemate's mother sent the best tuck boxes, and the best thing in them was her blackberry jam. It had apple in it, was very sweet and very soft set. There was something intensely blackberryish about that soft set jam dribbling over the edge of a lovely piece of bread, it reminded be of eating blackberries on a hot day and the way the juice bursts into you hands and mouth. Gosh it was good. I am still good friends with the girl who I shared a flat with, and I still angle for invitations when she goes to visit her parents....just so I can get some of that amazing jam.

Other blackberry jams have never compared and I am a little scared to make my own, even though I love jam making, as I know it won't compare, but the memory of that jam is something I really treasure, one of the culinary events of my life!

You're making my mouth water, lulu! I only hope mine turns out half as heavenly! The applie is an interesting idea - it would help withe the pectin, too.

Marmar - Here's my Granny's recipe for blackberry and apple jam

2lb blackberries
12oz cooking apples, peeled and sliced thinly
3 1bs granulated sugar
I2fl oz water

Put the blackberries and half of the water in a saucepan and simmer until tender, but not overcooked. In another saucepan, simmer the apples and the rest of water until soft. Combine the blackberries and the apple along with the sugar, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Keep the jam at a rolling boil until it reaches the setting point. Remove from heat, allow to cool for 10 minutes, put jam into sterilised jars and cover.

Brilliant on scones!

I think any of them would be good, but would save the pecans to add when I started to eat the jam. I don't know if it would stay crisp or not.

i'm almost (but not quite) sorry i even stopped to look at this thread. i'm having a heck of a time mopping up all this saliva.

here in japan, the smallest handful of fresh raspberries or blackberries runs about $4 or $5. i bought a couple of starts a couple of years ago, but still only getting 3 or 4 ripe berries at a time. maybe in about 10 years...

anyway, the blackberry-apple jam sounds really good, but i'm especially intrigued by the blackberry-lemon zest idea. sounds absolutely fanTABbulous.

i was also going to say that the pecans in the jam didn't sound too exciting. but... , how about reserving them for pecan butter! after all, it'd be a terrrible shame to match such a great jam with...skippy peanutbutter?!?!
but a blackberry-apple jam and pecanbutter sandwich on homemade honey-wholewheat bread....

oh dang it, where's that mop???
icon12.gif

Last edited:
I saw an episode of Paula on which she made fruit butters that looked really good. I wish I had checked the recipe. What I remember about it was that she used equal parts of water and sugar and added the fruit. She used apricots, blackberries, blueberries but said it could be made with strawberries also.I have some dried apricots and think I will try that. It would be delicious with the CB biscuits.

The apples are supplying the pectin for the jelling. You could do about the same using Sure Jell and adding whatever extra flavor you want--the grated peel, etc.

Thanks, ML, for the link. One thing I liked about hers they didn't look like they had been cooked to death like some fruit butters I've seen. I'm sure you will come up with just the right conserve, with nuts or without. I'm a big fan of pecans since my grandmother grew the best pecans I've ever tasted and we still get lots from the trees they planted many moons ago. But, ours are very crisp and I enjoy them in baking, and other recipes where they remain that way.

Back
Top Bottom