"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 05-31-2006, 07:55 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Blackberry jam

I just scored 4 quarts of the most beautiful blackberries, grown on a plantation right around the corner from my house! I'm going to make some jam, but thought I'd snazz it up a bit by adding some ? maybe orange rind, ? lemon rind, ? pecans?

What do you think?

Old 05-31-2006, 08:45 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Blackberry with lemon peel sounds nice. What about adding a little apple?

Old 05-31-2006, 08:59 AM   #3
Head Chef

I have had terrible trouble posting this! Anyhow.......

The best blackberry jam I have ever had was when I was at university. My flatemate's mother sent the best tuck boxes, and the best thing in them was her blackberry jam. It had apple in it, was very sweet and very soft set. There was something intensely blackberryish about that soft set jam dribbling over the edge of a lovely piece of bread, it reminded be of eating blackberries on a hot day and the way the juice bursts into you hands and mouth. Gosh it was good. I am still good friends with the girl who I shared a flat with, and I still angle for invitations when she goes to visit her parents....just so I can get some of that amazing jam.

Other blackberry jams have never compared and I am a little scared to make my own, even though I love jam making, as I know it won't compare, but the memory of that jam is something I really treasure, one of the culinary events of my life!
Old 05-31-2006, 09:12 AM   #4
Executive Chef

You're making my mouth water, lulu! I only hope mine turns out half as heavenly! The applie is an interesting idea - it would help withe the pectin, too.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:29 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Marmar - Here's my Granny's recipe for blackberry and apple jam

2lb blackberries
12oz cooking apples, peeled and sliced thinly
3 1bs granulated sugar
I2fl oz water

Put the blackberries and half of the water in a saucepan and simmer until tender, but not overcooked. In another saucepan, simmer the apples and the rest of water until soft. Combine the blackberries and the apple along with the sugar, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Keep the jam at a rolling boil until it reaches the setting point. Remove from heat, allow to cool for 10 minutes, put jam into sterilised jars and cover.

Brilliant on scones!
Old 05-31-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Well, that's it then - I will have to use your granny's recipe! Tx, Izzy!
Old 05-31-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I think any of them would be good, but would save the pecans to add when I started to eat the jam. I don't know if it would stay crisp or not.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #8
Senior Cook

i'm almost (but not quite) sorry i even stopped to look at this thread. i'm having a heck of a time mopping up all this saliva.

here in japan, the smallest handful of fresh raspberries or blackberries runs about $4 or $5. i bought a couple of starts a couple of years ago, but still only getting 3 or 4 ripe berries at a time. maybe in about 10 years...

anyway, the blackberry-apple jam sounds really good, but i'm especially intrigued by the blackberry-lemon zest idea. sounds absolutely fanTABbulous.

i was also going to say that the pecans in the jam didn't sound too exciting. but... , how about reserving them for pecan butter! after all, it'd be a terrrible shame to match such a great jam with...skippy peanutbutter?!?!
but a blackberry-apple jam and pecanbutter sandwich on homemade honey-wholewheat bread....

oh dang it, where's that mop???
Old 07-01-2006, 05:35 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I saw an episode of Paula on which she made fruit butters that looked really good. I wish I had checked the recipe. What I remember about it was that she used equal parts of water and sugar and added the fruit. She used apricots, blackberries, blueberries but said it could be made with strawberries also.I have some dried apricots and think I will try that. It would be delicious with the CB biscuits.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:56 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

The apples are supplying the pectin for the jelling. You could do about the same using Sure Jell and adding whatever extra flavor you want--the grated peel, etc.