"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 08-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #21
Chief Eating Officer

KarenSue, how do you know nobody ever got sick? Food poisoning can take many forms and can come on days after the food is ingested. Someone could get a headache 2 days later and it could be because of what they ate.

The assistant cook label just has to do with how many posts you have on the site. All new members start as assistant cook and as they post more their title changes. Welcome to the site

Old 08-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenSue View Post
PS...Just so you know RE: My previous post on Jams and Jellies, under my name I am noted as being an assistant chef, but how that got there I have no idea, for I am a retired cosmotologist who has always loved to cook...not an assistant chef. Karen Sue
Karen Sue, It's a title that the message board automatically applies based on the number of posts you make. The greater number of posts (comments) the more authorative title you will acquire. It's just one of those "fun" things that happens without us doing anything. Enjoy!

Old 08-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

RE:boiling-water-bath-for-jam-and-jelly-or-not

Thanks to those of you who filled me in on what my 'assistant cook' status means and to the reply 'How do I know that no one ever got sick or not from my jams and jellies, I am pretty sure that after making and sharing them since 1963 and considering the thousands of jars that I have shared with every relative, neighbor, friend, co-worker and acquaintance over the years, I would know by now if there was a problem or not. I think the real problem is the caution and sanitary conditions on the part of the person who is making it. Somewhere in the world people must have gotten sick at some point in time and it was found to be related to eating something that was improperly canned, which is probably when and why the cooking instructions in the Serto Package changed after all of those years, from turn the jar upside down for 5 minutes to boil in a water and/or pressure canner. What I personally think it has boiled down to is a people thing. For example, when microwaves first came out, many mothers heated their baby's bottle that way for years, but over the past few years that too has changed because many of the people heating the bottles did not take the necessary precautions and their babies were been badly scalded or burned in the process. Now, people are warned against using this method altogether to warm bottles and it is suggested to feed babies room temperature formula rather than even warm it at all to avoid this catastrophe. I think the real problem here is not the process, but rather the caution and sanitary conditions taken by those doing the canning! Thanks for the input...KarenSue
Old 08-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
I am pretty sure that after making and sharing them since 1963 and considering the thousands of jars that I have shared with every relative, neighbor, friend, co-worker and acquaintance over the years, I would know by now if there was a problem or not.
What makes you think that though? Do your friends and family tell you ever ache and pain and headache they ever get? If someone you know gets diarrhea do they tell you? These are all signs of food poisoning and it could be coming from your food without you even knowing it.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

Dear GB, You are right about one thing, people don't tell each other everytime they get a headache or upset stomach, etc., but I do know when my husband, grown children, grandchildren and great grandchildren are under the weather and I have never known any of them to get sick or not feel well after eating anything that I have cooked, including my jams and jellies. As for friends, neighbors, co-workers and anyone else I have shared my wares with over the past 50 + years, I have never had any complaints RE: my jams and jellies or anything else for that matter other they ran out and need more...Thanks for your input. KarenSue
Old 08-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #26
Everymom

Its a bit like saying, "No one died when I didn't wash my hands/cutting board/knives before cooking!"

The instructions have changed to reflect our knowledge. The basic idea is that we do things the best way we know how at the time. I don't really recall anyone getting sick from my jams either (and I did the wax topper thing) but now that I know the potential is there and I know how easy it is to prevent any illness...well I'm a water bath girl.

Our knowledge base has changed so we need to change with it. Sticking with the old ways has been shown to have some risk, and the change is simple. Why not change to keep your loved ones safer?
Old 08-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

Dear Alix, As I said in my first post, I have done the water bath method over the past few years, since the instructions have changed, but as I have stated in additional posts on the subject, I do believe that the change in the Serto package a few years ago, from turning the jelly jars upside down for 5 minutes to the water canning method was the end result of people whose canning was not done correctly or in unsanitary conditions, which did and will always cause people to get sick. If done right I believe that the upside down method is a safe alternative to the water canning method, but the end result does have a great deal to do with the person doing the canning. KarenSue
Old 08-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Quote:
Dear Alix, As I said in my first post, I have done the water bath method over the past few years, since the instructions have changed, but as I have stated in additional posts on the subject, I do believe that the change in the Serto package a few years ago, from turning the jelly jars upside down for 5 minutes to the water canning method was the end result of people whose canning was not done correctly or in unsanitary conditions, which did and will always cause people to get sick. If done right I believe that the upside down method is a safe alternative to the water canning method, but the end result does have a great deal to do with the person doing the canning. KarenSue
I think that the industry is trying to get people to purchase boiling bath canning systems.

It is indeed correct that cleanliness is everything. That, and doing the jamming quickly so that the liquid fruit doesn't have time to cool down too much while exposed to air.

Neither KarenSue nor I are trying to get anyone here to stop the boiling-water bath. You are quite correct to urge everyone to do their own research. However, as with all research, each one comes to her own conclusions based on personal bias.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Boiling water bath for jam and jelly

Ay least Daizymae and I agree that done right the upside down version for canning jam and jelly works just fine. I did email Kraft earlier to ask why after years they changed their instructions from the upside down for 5 minute version to the water bath process. Haven't heard back from them yet, but I am anxious to hear their reasons. I' let you all know what they say...KarenSue
Old 08-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

I think I said this before, we each have a right to our opinion, But please lets just agree to please take every precaution when canning. I think all that was said has been said over and over. It's obvious ideas are not going to change. I'll be ignored here because someone will feel they have to add to the array of ideas. In the end no one will be happy with what has been said. It's time to give this a rest and goodnight. Don't hurt someones feelings to make a point. Just remember talk to you cyber family as you would like to be spoken to. I know deep down what it's like to have something you've said taken issue with. Be kind it pays.
kadesma