Bottled BBQ Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrbbq

Assistant Cook
Hello. I have a barbecue sauce that my friends and family have requested that I make for them as a gift for the upcoming holidays. I normally make this and use it and put what is left in a plastic bottle in the frig. However, this time I need to make it and bottle it so I can give it as a gift. The recipe contains ketchup, whiskey, minced onion, butter, hot sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, and worcestesir sauce and cooked on medium high heat for 20 minutes. I found 12 oz. bottles I would like to put this sauce in and would like suggestions on the best method for doing so. Any help with this process would be greatly appreciated as the holidays are fast approaching. Thanks.

Canning will allow it to be shelf stable for some time.

If you use the bottles, make sure you sterilize them and keep the sauce stored cold. Instruct your recipients to keep it in the fridge and use within a month.

What if I wanted to ship? I have not tried to prepare this sauce in a pressure cooker; but would that help preserve the product enough to bottle it and ship? I have food grade sauce bottles with plastic PE lined caps and shrinkbands.

How you prepare the sauce is not the real question. It is how you are planning on sticking it something for storage. I do not think you will be able to put it in a bottle and screw on a cap and expect it to be shelf stable. I am sure there are recipes that would allow this, yours might not be it.

This is a case of if you don't know what you are doing you can kill someone.

You may wish to contact a farm extension near you to discuss this. They have experts.

Could you be more specific on the agency I should contact?

Most, if not all states, have County Extension Agents, under that or another name. They are usually employed by a state agency or the state agricultural college. They came about back in the early 20th century when state and federal efforts were begun to improve agriculture and lives in general and when most of the US lived on or near a farm or ranch, so one of their presumed areas of expertise is canning and other methods of preserving food.

This will get you headed to the right place:
Cooperative Extension System Offices

Back
Top Bottom