Bread and butter pickle problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda123

Senior Cook
Hello...

I gave my receipe to a cousin to make a 7-day bread and butter pickles. She just finished her first batch and was disappointed with the results.

she said: "I followed the exact instructions and used exact measurements, even used the McCormick brand pickling spice...but they don't taste just like yours did. Mine have a strong vinegar bite and burn, but yours were perfect to me."

I suggested two things...that she try them again in a couple months, so see if they "mellow" and to take her open jar and add a couple tablesppons of sugar, shake and then try again in a couple weeks.

Does anyone else have any ideas on what do to? I don't have my exact recipe with me - but it's where you pour boiling water over the whole cucumbers in a crock 5 times...on the 6th day, you make a brine of vinegar, sugar, pickling spices, salt and a little water and pour over the sliced cucumbers and the final day, you can/process them.

I told her I would check with you wonderful, knowledgable people and get back with her - she may even join! :)

Thanks for any help.

Linda

There could be a couple of things going on. The age of the cucumbers might have an impact on the taste, as well as the variety of cucumber. The water itself may also have an impact on the flavor. Different minerals in the water, or municipal water supply as opposed to well water, for example.
I think you gave very good advice about giving the pickles some time to mellow as well as the addition of some sugar to balance the vinegar.

Last edited:
Of course, it could be that she forgot to mention that she just made one little change and didn't mention it because she didn't think it would make a difference.

Of course, it could be that she forgot to mention that she just made one little change and didn't mention it because she didn't think it would make a difference.
People used to do that with my mum's recipes and complain it wasn't as good. The most common change was putting Miracle Whip instead of mayo in her tuna salad recipe.

Thanks to all...I hope the extra sugar and "mellowing" will help make the pickles more what she wants. She lives in SC and I live in VA, so I can't "help" her make the pickles and check if there are any small changes, but I really think she followed the recipe exactly.
Thanks again. Linda

That is why I do not like using Vinegar for pickling. She may have used different vinegar and it may have been stronger or stronger tasting. Ask her about it.

Back
Top Bottom