"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Old 10-22-2005, 06:14 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Breadmaker jam?

My wife has a breadmaker with a jam setting but we can't find the manual for it with recipes and Breadman doesn't seem to have a web site of any kind.

We've never done this before but we'll probably end up making peach jam. We'd also be interested in making mango, blueberry, apple butter, and probably a few others.

I used to help my mom do canning when I was growing up but I never did completely understand the process or why we did some of the things that we did. I don't have any specific gear for canning although I did recently buy a case of 1 pint jars with lids for another project.

So, I guess what I'm asking for is how to make jam in a bread maker and then how to preserve it after its made.

Mr_Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:15 PM   #2
Master Chef
Breadman is just one brand name of many products made by Salton ... their website is here. They should be able to help you obtain another copy of the manual for your particular model breadmaker.

I've never heard of using a bread machine to make jam - so I can't give you any advice about that. You would really need to read and follow the instructions in the manual. I'm guessing that if you want to make jam/jelly/preserves, etc. in any quantity you'll be better off with a 6-qt pot and a wooden spoon ... and do it by hand like your Mom did.

Now, as for canning and preserving that jam ....

Alltrista Corp now owns Ball (who makes the "Mason" jars) and Kerr (who makes the lids). They have a website with a lot of information covering the basics, and you can buy IMHO the best basic beginners primer for home canning (which includes TNT recipes), the Ball Blue Book for about $5 from them.

Another good site worth visiting is The National Center for Home Food Preservation - which is a co-op extension program of the USDA.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote