Bresaola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Started one about 5 weeks ago, now almost to the third week of air drying, after curing with salt/sugar/herbs in fridge for 2 weeks. It will be ready to try soon. Wish I had taken a picture of it before we started but didn't. Just took a picture and will post in a few minutes from the other computer.

Spiced, cured, air-dried beef, Italian charcuterie. I used eye of round. Last Tuesday, it had lost 300 grams since I hung it up to dry 2 weeks prior at 55-59 degrees F, 65-70% humidity. You can see how loose the tie job is, it was tight when first done.

Technically, we could cut it tomorrow as that would be minimum time allowable for drying but I think we are going to give it a little longer. I'll weigh it tomorrow and see where we're at though.

First time trying this. Figured this would be something hard to mess up. Next go round will be duck breast prosciutto unless Craig wants to make something.

37240-albums1008-picture6081.jpg

Last edited:
Spiced, cured, air-dried beef, Italian charcuterie. I used eye of round. Last Tuesday, it had lost 300 grams since I hung it up to dry 2 weeks prior at 55-59 degrees F, 65-70% humidity. You can see how loose the tie job is, it was tight when first done.

Technically, we could cut it tomorrow as that would be minimum time allowable for drying but I think we are going to give it a little longer. I'll weigh it tomorrow and see where we're at though.

First time trying this. Figured this would be something hard to mess up. Next go round will be duck breast prosciutto unless Craig wants to make something.

Cool. How are you keeping it at that temp and humidity range?

Wine fridge with electronic controls and a plastic container with a whole bunch of salt and water for humidity. Salt prevents mold/bacteria growth in the water. Using a temp/humidity gauge that was part of Craig's X-mas present charcuterie supplies.

Last edited:
medtran45, I suggest you to serve breasaola with some flakes of Parmigiano-Reggiano on a plate. If you want you can pour a drizzle of oil on it.

That's what we were planning on doing, except with the addition of arugula for the first go round.

Wine fridge with electronic controls and a plastic container with a whole bunch of salt and water for humidity. Salt prevents mold/bacteria growth in the water. Using a temp/humidity gauge that was part of Craig's X-mas present charcuterie supplies.

Ooh, now I know what I want for Christmas! May I ask what else was included with gift of supplies? Did you get a book, too? I was looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/In-The-Charcuterie-Sausage-Confits/dp/1607743434

And also Charcuterie and Salumi by Michael Ruhlman with a chef co-author.

Ooh, now I know what I want for Christmas! May I ask what else was included with gift of supplies? Did you get a book, too? I was looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/In-The-Charcuterie-Sausage-Confits/dp/1607743434

And also Charcuterie and Salumi by Michael Ruhlman with a chef co-author.

The Charcuterie book by Ruhlman since that was the one most recommended on a curing meat forum, #1 and #2 cures, a couple of different sizes of sausage casings (since we can only get 1 size locally that we've found), some new after-market blades/plates for the KitchenAid that were recommended on the curing forum (which seem to make a big difference grinding/stuffing), and I can't remember what else off top of head. We already had a good scale, which is a must. The one we have is electronic and can weigh either grams or pounds/ounces.

mmm, that looks good.

did you use a slicer? i prefer bresaola sliced paper thin, much like prosciutto or jamon.

mmm, that looks good.

did you use a slicer? i prefer bresaola sliced paper thin, much like prosciutto or jamon.

Yes and it is paper thin. You can easily see light thru it. If you note, in the upper left part of the plate you can see where the plate shades from the tan into white thru the slices. And you can easily see where the slices are shingled over each other in quite a few places.

ETA: Oh, I see where the edges are thicker in some pieces. Had trouble getting the slicer adjusted to just the right thinness (slices versus shavings) and it wasn't cutting evenly at first.

Last edited:
Nice job! I bet the well-loved family members wouldn't mind getting something from you at the Holidays. Then again, I don't know if you even like you family that much. ;)

Thanks guys. I told Craig I actually like the bresaola better than carpaccio.

CG: Unfortunately, none of our family members would eat it once we told them it hadn't been cooked (and they'd ask, they've learned we eat odd to them things). Craig and I are the only "adventurous" eaters left in our family.

Back
Top Bottom