Calling All Canning Experts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puppy Breath

Assistant Cook
I live right smack-dab in the middle of cajun coun
I found this recipe on the internet and saved it thinking it was a recipe that I could can in a water bath, but I went back and read the directions and it only refers to it keeping in the refrigerator.

Does anyone know if you could process this in a water bath?
I'm new to all of this "canning" stuff and don't want to make a mistake. I've read where you aren't supposed to change recipes, etc.

6 granny smith apples, 4 macintosh, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 large onion, diced
1 16 oz bottle cider vinegar
1 cup apple cider
2 shallots, diced
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups golden raisins
1/4 cup ginger, minced
1 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes

In a large stockpot combine the apples, onion, vinegar, apple cider, raisins, ginger, mustard, salt, and red pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to a boil, add sugar and stir until dissolved. Cook mixture over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until thickened about 90 mins. Spoon the chutney into sterilized glass jars leaving a little space on top, and close the lid.
Jam lasts refrigerated up to two weeks.

You need to keep it in the fridge because of the raisins. I used to make an apple currant conserve, and my grandmother made a peach conserve with pecans, and they had to be refrigerated also.

is this a chutney? it sounds good. i have never canned anything before.

constance (may i call you conny?) why can't you can raisins or the peach one?

Here's a similar recipe that mentions canning it, so I would think something like this could be canned.....

Making and Canning Apple, Pear and Golden Raisin Chutney. CanningUSA.COM - A great place to learn home canning!

I'm not an expert, but I think it all depends on the Ph balance. If the food is acidic
enough, it can be water-bath canned. If not, it needs pressure canning.

That recipe, with a quart of vinegar, is PROBABLY acidic enough, but I would make
absolutely positively sure before I ate some 5 months from now, LOL!

I found this recipe on the internet and saved it thinking it was a recipe that I could can in a water bath, but I went back and read the directions and it only refers to it keeping in the refrigerator.

Does anyone know if you could process this in a water bath?
I'm new to all of this "canning" stuff and don't want to make a mistake. I've read where you aren't supposed to change recipes, etc.

6 granny smith apples, 4 macintosh, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 large onion, diced
1 16 oz bottle cider vinegar
1 cup apple cider
2 shallots, diced
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups golden raisins
1/4 cup ginger, minced
1 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes

In a large stockpot combine the apples, onion, vinegar, apple cider, raisins, ginger, mustard, salt, and red pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to a boil, add sugar and stir until dissolved. Cook mixture over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until thickened about 90 mins. Spoon the chutney into sterilized glass jars leaving a little space on top, and close the lid.
Jam lasts refrigerated up to two weeks.

It looks to me as though it's a Chutney recipe,not Jam.
You will have to process the jars in a water bath.Times vary from 10 to 15 minutes.With a few minutes wait time after they are done,to safely remove them from the canner.About 5 minutes.
Keep them out of drafts while they are cooling on the counter.The lids are still sealing.
After 24 hours check the lids.Press your finger in the center.If it concave's.Curves downward,doesn't move you have a great seal.If not refrigerate that jar and use it first.

I wasn't sure if that was a Jam or chutney recipe myself. It had no name. I did looked it up.Checked with what you had written.
It didn't mention the waterbath (Good catch on you)
Or how much that recipe will yield you in the end.I could see why you were confused.It needs the covered water bath.

It's a shame that they didn't mention those.I'm suspecting that the recipe you found has been altered.If it wasn't altered I think they would have mentioned the yields.How else can you have the correct amount of jars prepared ahead of time?

It's best not to use recipes you found on the net.I'm not innocent about that,I did what you did,assumed it was ok.What worked for grandma doesn't always work for today's methods.

Best of luck
Munky.

is this a chutney? it sounds good. i have never canned anything before.

constance (may i call you conny?) why can't you can raisins or the peach one?

Please, do call me Connie, if you prefer. Raisins and nuts are non-acid foods, and the water bath method does not get hot enough to kill the varmints in those foods. For that, you would need the pressure canner, which which will get so hot that it will boil the jelly/jam out of the jars.
Just my experience.
When you can, you must consider every item in the mix that you are canning. Succatash and other vegie mixes can be tricky...that's why it's best to have a recipe.
I have canned without a particular recipe, but I did a lot of studying, and always made sure I had a good "rule", as they used to say.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom