Can crushed pineapple be frozen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoMama

Senior Cook
The other day I opened a standard size can of crushed pineapple ... of course (as is the course) I only need about three tablespoons of the crushed pineapple.

Now what to do with the excess crushed pineapple?

I was thinking of putting it in two 8-ounce freezer/canning jars and putting it in the freezer so I can use it another day for another dish/sauce.

What say ye?

:chef: JoMama

I am not sure how it would freeze though I am guessing because it is already processed it should be okay. I wouldn't freeze fresh pineapple.

What you could do, if you wanted, is use it for the topping of a pineapple upside down cake. I know it is usually whole slices, but once I was making one and thought I had slices but opened a can of crushed. I actually really liked the results!

Since it is processed food, I am guessing the crushed pineapple should last 1-2 weeks just by putting in the regular fridge (not the freezer). That way, you don't actually have to thaw it when you want to use it next time.

Try freezing a small amount as a test and then thaw it and see what it is like. You have plenty of time to try that before it goes bad.

you can just place it in a sterilized bottle and that would be ok.
It is already processed so you can only keep it longer by storing
in a cool dry place.

Once 'processed' food is exposed to the air (and bacteria), placing it in a sterilized bottle would not provide much protection. And that sterilized bottle is not really sterilized once it is exposed to the air, handled, etc.

Only two choices, refrigeration which slows down bacteria growth or freezing which suspends growth.

i'm sure it's going to be fine. use it in something cooked once it's thawed.

you might want to keep the 6 packs of the snack size fruits on hand if this situation repeats itself....or you can just portion out this for the freezer and use the rest as you need it !

i'm comparing it to a dole or edy's fruit & juice bar- delicious! maybe you could make popsicles.

The other day I opened a standard size can of crushed pineapple ... of course (as is the course) I only need about three tablespoons of the crushed pineapple.

Now what to do with the excess crushed pineapple?

I was thinking of putting it in two 8-ounce freezer/canning jars and putting it in the freezer so I can use it another day for another dish/sauce.

What say ye?

:chef: JoMama

Hi JoMama,

Yes, it can be frozen.

Once opened, a can of fruit does not have any special protection from spoilage as the medium which gave the fruit protection, namely canning has been destroyed. the sugar content of the syrup may give a few days protection if the excess product is stored at refirgerator temperatures.

The fruit and juice could be used in chicken casserole.

Another idea would be to cook long grain rice, rinse in LOTS of running cold water to reduce temperature as quickly as possible. Drain and store in `fridge until ready to use. Add curry paste to mayo. Make hotter and more intense than you want because once added to rice the flavour will dissipate or thin and allow to mature for a couple of hours. Add the curried mayo and drained pinapple to the cold rice for a really good salad. This goes really well with cold ham, cold roast chicken or salmon.

Add the drained crushed pinapple to a custard based ice cream for pinapple ice cream.

Whip double cream, add crushed meringues and drained pinapple, plus (drained) slivers of ginger in syrup. Place in a glass and serve - a variation of ETON MESS. You could layer the cream, pinapple and ginger mix with fresh fruit like diced mango or raspberries etc. Commercially this turns potential waste into a quick and easy but interesting concoction.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

Back
Top Bottom