Can I can "anything?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enchant

Assistant Cook
My new Presto pressure canner just arrived. Now that it's here, I'm searching around trying to determine what is ok for me to can, and it appears that the answer is: nothing.

Up to now, I've been canning using a hot water bath. I can tomatoes and tomato-based sauces, pickles, relish, etc. With this new pressure canner, I was hoping that a whole new world would open up to me.

My primary need is soup. I make large batches and put the quart jars into the freezer. Looking around, it appears that I can't can rice or pasta. Ok, so turkey and chicken soup are out. Now I've just read that I also can't can any thickeners, such as flour, corn starch or SOUP BASE. That eliminates all soup that I make.

Am I misunderstanding this somehow? It's starting to look like I've purchased a $70 cabinet decoration.

Campbells cans chicken and rice soup and chicken noodle soup. So why can't you?

Actually, I do know the answer to that. Industrialized canning operations can at a much higher temperature than we have available on our home canners.

The suggestion is to add starches and thickeners when you serve the food. Yes, I know that's not as convenient, but it's safe practice.

I can offer a couple of suggestions. One, search the 'net for "how to can homemade soups." You'll get a lot of information and why some ingredients should be avoided.

Second, if you have a university service near you, the home economics agent there can provide a great deal of useful material to educate you of the safest way to preserve your food.

I can offer a couple of suggestions. One, search the 'net for "how to can homemade soups." You'll get a lot of information and why some ingredients should be avoided.

Second, if you have a university service* near you, the home economics agent there can provide a great deal of useful material to educate you of the safest way to preserve your food.

*University Cooperative Extension Service ;) Not all extension offices have a food & nutrition agent, but someone in the extension office at the land-grant university in your state can help.

The definitive site for advice on safe home canning practices is at the University of Georgia: https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can5_meat.html

Also see this page for information on using pressure canners: https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/uga/using_press_canners.html

ive been canning a few years.but im still a amuture at it.on account theres very few things i can.chicken soup is one I've canned.i go ahead and cook it as if it's gonna be eaten inside of a week or when ever.then i can it.the presto j have is a 16 quart presto canner/cooker.no preasure gauge.in which I've had good luck with it.when it comes to chicken and turkey soup.chili.pinto beans and a few other foods.I've also canned chicken broth and bacon grease.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom