"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 08-15-2006, 05:19 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Can I can cold salsa?

My sister came out with a gigantic bowl of a corn/bean salsa and it is wonderful.... but there is way too much to keep good for long. Every time I see anything about canning, it appears that everything put in the jar is hot? Can a cold item be canned> I know this sounds silly, but I have never canned anything before.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:07 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

No, it would have to be cooked and then probably pressure canned. You can freeze it with some success.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:55 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Okay - Thank You......
Old 08-15-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
Master Chef

Gretchen is right ... canned salsa is cooked before putting into jars and then it is either canned using a boiling-water canner, or pressure canner, depending on the acid level (the recipe).

For something like a black bean and corn salsa ... which is usually not acidic enough for a water canner .... I would just freeze it. Canning would probably change the flavor and texture more than you want - it certainly wouldn't be anything like the fresh salsa you enjoyed. Freezing will change the texture a little - but nothing like canning would.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:30 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsiesmom
My sister came out with a gigantic bowl of a corn/bean salsa and it is wonderful.... but there is way too much to keep good for long. Every time I see anything about canning, it appears that everything put in the jar is hot? Can a cold item be canned> I know this sounds silly, but I have never canned anything before.
Blast some of it in the blender.Add a tomato or two, a little veg. stock, and a hot chili pepper. Cook for 20 minutes and serve with chopped coriander leaf and some freshly fried tortilla chips. " Sopa Azteca!!"

Warm it through gently, add a little cumin powder, a little hot red pepper, some coriander powder, and some half & half Cream mixed with yoghurt.
"Bhutta!"

Mix with some fresh red bell pepper, finely diced. Add a little garlic and some olive oil.- "Pasta Sauce"

Mix it with some freshly cooked minced beef. Cook until fairly dry then use it to stuff :
Peppers
More Peppers
Hot Peppers
Zucchini
Beefsteak Tomatoes
Cabbage leaves

Make some pastry and roll out into 3" wide rounds. Place a little bean/salsa/ minced beef mix in the middle, fold over like half moons, dampen the edges with a wet fork to close, deep fry for "Empanadas".
Old 08-23-2006, 09:03 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Hi Clive ... looks like you're the guy to see for salsa, too?!

How about your best shot at a really nice, hot "mexican" salsa if you please? And, please, do tell me how I should best can it ...

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2006, 03:20 PM   #7
Executive Chef

You still have to do the hot water bath step...but it will only slightly change the appearance of the salsa. I can salsa all the time. Keep it on the shelf till you are ready to use it, then toss a jar into the fridge.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:07 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
Hi Clive ... looks like you're the guy to see for salsa, too?!

How about your best shot at a really nice, hot "mexican" salsa if you please? And, please, do tell me how I should best can it ...

Thanks!
One of my favourites is to take ( and there are NO exact measures here - it called "ojoporciento" over here; the amount that looks and tastes good to you!) a few ( 3-4 ) fresh, bright red tomatoes; 1/2 a small red onion, chopped; a guajillo or New Mexican chile, toasted over an open flame, seeds removed then crumbled; 2 fresh green serrano chiles, finely chopped; lime or lemon juice; a pinch or to of cumin powder; a good tbsp of freshly chopped cilantro, sea salt, a large bottle of tequila.
Chop the tomatoes into a small dice and dump in a large bowl with the chopped onion, the crumbled chile, the serranos, the lime juice ( to taste) the cumin, the cilantro and a tsp of sea salt. mix together roughly then taste. Ok - a bit more of this, a bit more of that? Adjust to your liking .

Leave the salsa for about an hour - this will help the flavours to develop.

Meanwhile, open the tequila...
Old 08-26-2006, 03:04 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I never thought about cooking salsa - thanks for the tip.