Can I freeze avocado?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Since our grocery stores will be getting in-season avocado in soon I'm wondering if I can stock up for baby-food purposes. Once I peel, seed and mash it, can I freeze it? I'd probably be adding water to it to thin it down when I serve it so if the texture looses integrity, I don't think it would be a big deal.

I sometimes buy frozen guacamole. That thaws OK.

If you were to freeze a whole avocado, I suspect it would be watery and mushy when thawed because of its high water content.

Since you are peeling and mashing it and using it for baby food. I don't think the texture will be much of a problem. Does The little one like avocado?

Thanks!

We haven't started solids yet, but I've been told that after cereal, avocado's one of the best, nutrient dense foods to introduce next. It's not easy finding good avocados in Central PA, but I hope to!

Actually, you need to mush it up, puree, blend, etc. and add a little lemon or lime juice, or it won't look very appetizing. The citric will help hold its color. Whole ones won't freeze well.

Cindy

Yes, I freeze avocadoes, cut in half and vacuum sealed. They are fine for making quac or even sliced in salads.

You did notice I said I vacuum seal them with a FoodSaver--if that was in reply to me.

You may want to "test freeze & thaw" one first.

I've heard that CostCo carries frozen avocados, & a few folks who have tried them have said they're awful. Don't know if it has anything to do with the freezing process, but before you do it to a whole bunch of them, you might want to see if you like the result.

I use a local supermarket that sells frozen avocados. They taste AWFUL !

I think they freeze the left-over avocados.

Incidentally. I jave collected many recipes for hot (heated, not peppery hot) avocados. Anyone interested? The late Queen Mother used to like hot avocados with the hollow filled with port.

You know my ears perk up when I hear the "A" word!:)

I've never needed to freeze them, as they're abundant year round here (and if my older boy is around, there'd be nothing to freeze anyway)

I always trust the California Avocado Commission, and here's what they have to say on the matter:
------------------------------------------------------------
HOW TO FREEZE AVOCADOS:
When you have an abundance of fresh fruit, consider freezing it. Although avocados are not satisfactorily frozen whole or sliced, pureed avocados freeze very well and can be used in salads, sandwiches and dips.

Wash, seed and peel the fruit as described above.

Puree the flesh, adding one tablespoon of lemon juice for each two pureed avocados. Pack the puree into a rigid container, leaving 1 inch of headspace.

Seal and label the containers.

Freeze and use within four to five months.

Source: California Avocado Commission

advoca said:
Incidentally. I jave collected many recipes for hot (heated, not peppery hot) avocados. Anyone interested? The late Queen Mother used to like hot avocados with the hollow filled with port.

Please do please do!!!
Post them in whichever forum would be appropriate for each recipe. I'd love to see them. I only have a handful of avo recipes which include heating/baking the avo.

can I freeze avocados

thanks Constance for the info on freezing avocados cut in half! I had no idea you could freeze avocados until I ate at my sister-in-laws and she had purchased avocado half's stuffed and frozen then vacuum sealed by
the Swan home delivery service, they were incredible. The vacuum sealing must be the secret because I would have sworn they were fresh

Back
Top Bottom