Can I Freeze Liverwurst?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
I have several geriatric dogs that periodically need meds which I give via a lump of Braunschweiger (sp?) liverwurst.

The two dogs that were needing daily pilling have (thankfully!!!) been taken off their meds, & I have an unopened vacuum-sealed "log" of Branschweiger in the fridge. While I - along with the dogs - do love the stuff, I was wondering if I could pop this unopened log into the freezer until the next time someone in "the gang" needs medication.

I just wouldn't want to thaw it & find a puddle of goo.

I hope someone comes along who's tried it, Breezy. I love Liverwurst so much I'd hate for you to end up with that "pile of goo," but that's what I'm guessing you'd get from freezing it... :ohmy:

Go ahead and freeze it! I do that when I can get a good sale on Braunsweiger. All of us love it too and none of us ever got sick from freezing it until we needed it. Don't worry, it will not turn into a "pile of goo."

It will thaw to be pretty much the way it was before freezing. I have to say that you have me hungry for braunsweiger now!! It has already been put on the grocery list for tomorrow!!!

turtledove said:
It will thaw to be pretty much the way it was before freezing. I have to say that you have me hungry for braunsweiger now!! It has already been put on the grocery list for tomorrow!!!

Just went on my list too ! lol , love it on rye bread with a slice of sweet onion and a litle mustard. Yum

:) I like it the way you do Barb L or spread on rye crackers.I like to call it the Poor Mans Pate.But when you are in the mood there is nothing better.Pickles are also good with it.

It makes a favorite sandwich for me, on whole wheat toast, with a bit of Miracle Whip Salad Dressing, lettuce, and tomato. Oh, and that sliced onion goes in there as well. It's one of my "Breathkiller" sandwiches. Yum. But I have to be careful when I eat it as my wife hates the stuff. After a good liverwurst sandwich, no kisses for me.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Well, freezing it has just become a moot point. Just returned from the vet's office with my geriatric Doberman who tested positive for Lyme Disease. Two pills twice a day for at least 3 weeks. That takes care of the liverwurst & then some.

Breezy

let us know how your dog is doing? Sorry to hear about having to give medication. Something I am well acquainted with and worry about. That is good idea about the braunsweiger. Worked all the time for me too. Good luck!

I don't see how you guys stand to eat liverwurst... but hey, I probably eat some eccentric things.. like venison :)

BreezyCooking said:
Just returned from the vet's office with my geriatric Doberman who tested positive for Lyme Disease. Two pills twice a day for at least 3 weeks.

Sorry to hear you have reason to use it, Breezy.

I was just going to add my two cents that we have frozen liverwurst (Braunschweiger) in chunks, and it stays as firm as ever.

I hope those two pills twice a day do the trick for your geriatric pup...who will at least be happy to receive the 'treat'....:neutral:

Well, "Liesl" is back to her old "bouncing off the wall" self. It's very difficult to believe that she's 12!!!

Thanks for your kind words everyone, & thanks Sugarbrown for confirming that Braunschweiger freezes & thaws ok. I'll probably buy a chunk to keep in the freezer, as so many times I'm on my way home from the vet with pills & a dog in the car, so can't safely stop at the store without going home first. This way I'll already have it when/if I need it (or have a taste for it myself - lol!).

That's great to hear about Liesl, Breezy!

Sometimes in the grocery store, I'll get a real craving for liverwurst when I see it, and then it's in too big of a roll...

So one day I got an "aha" moment, and cut it in sections and froze it, so now I really like that system.... :)

That is the way I used to get too, sugarbrown. The problem back then was my daughters love the stuff as much as DH and I; so it never lasted long.

My husband hates anything concerning liver. When I have the occasional craving, I sometimes just buy a slice at the deli. When I buy the chunks I usually slice and put individual slices in pint FoodSaver bags and freeze. that makes it easier to thaw and it's in portions.

Back
Top Bottom