Can you freeze broccoli?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turando

Cook
Hiya

I can rarely get good broccoli here that doesn't cost the earth and I grabbed a few bags of it today for us since it was nice and fresh and cheap but since there is only two of us I was wondering if I could freeze one bag of it and would it wreck the flavour? I'm not talking of long term storage i.e. a year or anything. I'll probably use it up in the next month.

Thankyou!

Sure you can! I find it’s best to trim and cut it up into florets (as if you were serving it now). Then blanch the broccoli in boiling for 3 – 4 minutes. Immediately remove the broccoli to an ice bath and let it soak for 5 minutes or until it is completely cool. Once cool, drain it thoroughly and then package it in freezer save ziploc bags or containers.

If you don’t have an ice bath, then use cold running water, or change the cold water a few times until the broccoli is cool.

I do the same thing for asparagus and it comes out just fine.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick answer :) Is it possible to do it without blanching it? Does blanching help to preserve it? Just wondering :)

You really do have to blanch it, otherwise both the texture & flavor suffers tremendously. The only thing I'd change from Keltin's advice would be that I blanch my florets for only 2 minutes tops. You don't really want to cook it all the way thru, & 4 minutes - at least for me - would definitely do that.

Turando said:
Hi,

Thanks for the quick answer :) Is it possible to do it without blanching it? Does blanching help to preserve it? Just wondering :)

I’d say blanching is rather important, and it does help to preserve the vegetable. I’ve never tried it withot doing so. Check this site out.

Blanching

Blanching (scalding vegetables in boiling water or steam for a short time) is a must for almost all vegetables to be frozen. It stops enzyme actions which can cause loss of flavor, color and texture.

Blanching cleanses the surface of dirt and organisms, brightens the color and helps retard loss of vitamins. It also wilts or softens vegetables and makes them easier to pack.

Blanching time is crucial and varies with the vegetable and size. Underblanching stimulates the activity of enzymes and is worse than no blanching. Overblanching causes loss of flavor, color, vitamins and minerals. Follow recommended blanching times (pages 229-230).

BreezyCooking said:
You really do have to blanch it, otherwise both the texture & flavor suffers tremendously. The only thing I'd change from Keltin's advice would be that I blanch my florets for only 2 minutes tops. You don't really want to cook it all the way thru, & 4 minutes - at least for me - would definitely do that.

Hey....I said 3 to 4....it could be 3! :LOL:

Then again, I always steam my broccoli till it's very soft (the DW requires that for some reason - she’s not a big fan of crunchy veggies).

Thanks! :) I'll blanch it tomorrow and freeze it. I love broccoli so when I can get it fresh and cheap freezing would be a great option to do.

I'll probably only do it for 2-3 minutes though because they are quite small and I don't want to overcook them (I use them a lot in stir fries where you want them a bit firmer).

Yeah, broccoli cooks really fast. I've been eating a lot lately and really had to cut down my cook time compared to asparagus or green beans, my "usual" favorites. A covered pot with some olive oil, butter and seasoning and you're good to go in around 5 minutes depending on your heat.

I've never frozen fresh broccoli, but have frozen plenty of it cooked! Left overs etc. Coming out ofthe freezer it is excellent in casseroles. Yum! Broccoli casserole!!

Back
Top Bottom