Canned baby food - who's made it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ditto Katie. I would make up a huge vat of applesauce and use that as the base for all the fruit stuff. Then I'd have blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, bananas, pears and peaches to mix up with it. The only thing I didn't use was rhubarb...bad for babies. My kids hated it when I blended up our dinners though. They would rather suck on a bone or something. They ate "real" food early.

Baby food

I did the same as above. When I made lunch or dinner I would pull veggies out before seasoning them to grind for baby food. And I also used homemade unsweetened applesauce and add any kind of fruit we had on hand. I would also add it to their cereal and on it's own. I tried to make the baby food before I seasoned anything too much. It worked out great for us and I think it helped the kids adjust to regular food faster. I never made anything too far in advance, but I was cooking dinner everyday so there was always something to make for them. If you could see their baby pictures you would know that they never went hungry,
lol :pig:

I did the same as above. When I made lunch or dinner I would pull veggies out before seasoning them to grind for baby food. And I also used homemade unsweetened applesauce and add any kind of fruit we had on hand. I would also add it to their cereal and on it's own. I tried to make the baby food before I seasoned anything too much. It worked out great for us and I think it helped the kids adjust to regular food faster. I never made anything too far in advance, but I was cooking dinner everyday so there was always something to make for them. If you could see their baby pictures you would know that they never went hungry,
lol :pig:

I did the same thing, plus I had a small "diaper bag-sized" table grinder that I took with me when we took the children out to eat with us. Looked a little like a small pepper grinder. It was real handy.

You can safely 'can' chunk or pureed fruit only. Do not attempt to can pureed vegetables, red meats, or poultry meats, because proper processing times for pureed foods have not been determined for home use. Instead, can and store these foods using the standard processing procedures; puree or blend them at serving time. Heat the blended foods to boiling, simmer for 10 minutes, cool, and serve. Store unused portions in the refrigerator and use within 2 days for best quality.

National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Can

My advice, mix it up!!

I'll just add that my son (my first baby) loved sweet potatoes, carrots and acorn squash. I HAD to branch out and grind a more colorful variety of foods when Gramma from Michigan came to visit and said "My, My, does Graham look a little ~orange~ to you?" :ohmy: LOL, after that he had a mix of colors!!! It's true that they don't come with an owners manual. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks everybody for your responses! I wanted to try and make some canned baby food for a friend of mine. Shes a health nut, so I know she'd love it! Im definitely gonna look at that website Mcnerd!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom