Canned Deer Meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jklamb

Assistant Cook
Please help me! I need to know how long canned deer meat in quart jars will last. My mother-in-law canned some deer meat about 10 years ago & since the seals are still good she says they are alright to eat. Please let me know the life spand on cacnned deer meat before I possible kill trying her deer meat! Thank-you Julie in Georgia

I'm not an expert, and I'm generally one for keeping things a little longer than some of the experts say, but 10 years seems like an awful long time to me. If I find out anything about it, I'll let you know what I find. Someone else with some knowledge in the matter might be able to help you. I know that if you are like me, if you suspect it may be bad it will probably taste bad to you even if it's not!

:) Barbara

There is no way I would trust that. The risk is just not worth the reward.

Julie...

If you are starving and have no money....Naw:ermm: Don't even eat it then!!!! Send me an e-mail with an address and I will send money for groceries.:)

Really I would not even think of eating it!

Julie there are certain things that can be great after 10 years. Wine, scotch, cheese but venison isn't one of them. Get rid of it. And if it was that good in the first place why have they had it so long?

JDP

JDP said:
Julie there are certain things that can be great after 10 years. Wine, scotch, cheese but venison isn't one of them. Get rid of it. And if it was that good in the first place why have they had it so long?

JDP

You left out good Kentucky Bourbon!!!!:LOL:

I vote no. Canning meat is tricky anyway--are you sure she did it properly, with a pressure canner?

No. I would probably throw it away jars and all--botulism is nothing to fool around with.

Thanks folks! I think I just needed to hear it from outside reliable sources.

I would love to have the recipe she used for the meat when she processed it. Did she can it ground like a bologna? I want that recipe soooo bad. Bought a new pressure cooker this year and I"m dieing to try it... Anyone have a trail bologna recipe that I can can??? the only ones I've found are for baking Please help me!!!

:)Thats way too long even for canned meats from the store.Better safe than sorry or dead.Its not worth it and why does she even have canned meat this old anyway?

xnay no way jose Like uncle Bob send me a pm and I ll send you money for grocerys
Dispose of it DON'T FEED IT TO ANIMALS it could very well kill them

Don't eat no 10 year old meat!!!!!!!! I can sausage in amounts that I can consume within a year or so. 10 years is a loooooong time.

Back
Top Bottom