Canned venison?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thumpershere2

Head Chef
I'm looking for a tnt recipe for canning venison. Some recipes call for liquid and others don't. I have never canned venison before but will try this year. Thanks all.

Since you mention the question of to add liquid or not to add liquid I assume you're not talking about things like venison stew, chili, etc. which would naturally have liquid.

My first response, for venison or any other meat, would be that unless you have a real reason to can it - don't. If you vacuum seal in plastic bags with something like a FoodSaver you can freeze it for over a year and it doesn't take any pre-cooking, it's a lot faster, easier and cheaper than canning meats, and you're not stuck with partially cooked meat. For hunks of meat - this is my preferred choice.

To can venison it will need to be at least partially cooked, yes you will need to add broth, and then processe in a PRESSURE canner for about 1.25-1.5 hours (depending on if you are doing pints or quarts) at 10-15 PSI depending on your altitude above sea-level.

The reason for the liquid is for heat conduction during processing. Air doesn't conduct heat very well .... liquid does. To demonstrate: you can stick you hand into an oven preheated to 215-F for 30-seconds and not get burned ... but you'll get some serious burns if you plunge your hand into a pot of 212-F boiling water for 30-seconds.

People are going to think I get a commission because I am so adamant and recommend this so much ... but I don't. If you are new to canning you really should break down and buy a copy of the Ball Blue Book of Preserving (it's only $5 - if you buy it from the site I've listed below) if you don't already own a copy.

Ball and Kerr (the major sources of canning supplies in the US) have teamed up and have a website: http://www.homecanning.com/usa - click on the "products" tab and scroll down to find it. It will generally take 4-8 weeks for delivery. You can Google for other sources which may be able to deliver it quicker if they have it in stock - but they generally cost more.

Michael, I stand behind you 100%! Our grandmothers took a lot of risks with some of the stuff they 'water bath' canned; there's a lot more science out there now.

I remember being on the phone with one of the Ball folks some years ago; I wanted to water bath some salsa, and I don't care for vinegar in my salsa. All the onions and peppers make the salsa mixture less acid than is safe for a water bath, so the Ball person and I sat and figured out percentages of other ingredients that would make it safe to use a water bath for. Otherwise, she was adamant that I either use vinegar or a pressure cooker.

Last edited:
pHydrion makes pH paper that can be used to check the acidity of product to be water-bath canned. I use this with my home-made salsa so I don't have to automatically add lemon juice, vinegar or citric acid automatically to each jar/batch of tomato salsa/product/stuff. If you want to try this, buy the roll of pH paper that tests between 5.0 and 3.0. Nice stuff, and easy to color match to check acidity.

And about the venison: I like canned meats, especially for quick stews and soups; you can also dump out a can of meat and it's juice and thicken it and make some great meat gravy to eat over rice, potatoes or noodles. Also, you have the choice with home canned anything to use whatever sized jars you wish: 4oz, 8oz, 16oz or 32oz. Canned meat on the shelf does not need refrigeration/freezing and greatly cuts down my worries in case of a power outage. I like to have BOTH canned and frozen meat available.

Here's an excellent guidline for canning venison and other meats:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_05/strips_cubes_chunks.html

I wouldn't be afraid of canning meat...if you follow directions carefully, it's going to be as safe and probably cleaner than commercially canned meats. The homecanned meats I've tasted have been tender and flavorful. I think venison would be very good that way.

Last edited:
Canning Meat

I've only recently started pressure canning and I LOVE IT.... It's so much more convenient for me to grab a jar of ground beef, meatballs, diced or shredded meat off a pantry shelf than take it out of the freezer.. of course there are still meats that I freeze such as roast, whole poultry etc. I have even pressure canned pork chops.

whether to pressure can or to freeze meat has to do with individual preference... one of the reasons I decided to start pressure canning is because it will allow me to take advantage of bargains on meat even when my freezer space is maxed out...

I've discovered that I can buy bulk quantities of chicken leg/thighs when they are extremely cheap ($.10-.30) a pound, bake them and then lift the meat off the bones and pressure can it.. my family doesn't care to eat chicken leg/thigh sections really however after pressure canning it's tender and looks like breast meat really and no one knows the difference...this meat is all shredded or chunked when I pressure can it and is perfect to use in soups, casseroles, burritos, etc.... for me it's become a way to incorporate cheaper meats that my family wouldn't ordinarily want to eat...

Pressure canning also tenderizes the tougher cuts of meat...

something that I just recently read has me even more convinced that pressure canning is a great way to preserve meat... the bird flu virus survives in temperatures up to about 165 degrees... when you pressure can meat the temperature usually reaches something like 240 degrees.... I think the high temperatures reached during pressure canning make meats even safer to eat.

Does anyone can Chili Con Carne? I have a pressure canner but there is no recipe in the cook book that came with it.

I have absolutely no advice to give on this matter, just wanted to say that this is a question I'd never thought of before this thread.

But, upon reflection, I don't see why you couldn't can venison, seems like an efficient way to preserve the meat.

Back
Top Bottom