Canning advice for newbies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digigirl

Cook
Hello all,

I'm just getting an interest in canning and haven't tried anything yet - haven't even bought any equipment yet. I don't expect I'll ever do great quantities, but I would like the ability for gifts (syrups, jams, salsas, etc.) and for storing a few things for myself like sauces and soups.

Is there any basic advice you could give to someone like me? I'm thinking of going the pressure canner route, so that I can have just one rather than two pieces of equipment. Any suggestions on size or brand?

Any particular books you recommend? I'm aware of the Ball book, and will certainly pick that up. Any others?

What type of food would you recommend as a first canning attempt?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Valerie

Well you already know the first step...The Ball Blue Book is the canning bible. Get that first before you buy anything else. It is very possible that once you read that book (you can read the whole thing in 30 minutes or less) you may decide you do not need to spend the $ on a pressure canner. That book will answer all of the questions you have right now most likely.

Are you growing a garden right now? If so then you will have plenty of thongs to can. My first canning experience was with green tomatoes. It was very easy and rewarding.

No, unfortunately, I don't have a garden. We just bought our first house ever in January, and are still kinda getting it together. I've never done much gardening before, so this is all new to me.

Still, even having to buy produce at the store, I'd like to be able to make up some recipes in bulk that I can save for future use - like spaghetti sauce, for instance. And, for Christmas, I'd like to be able to give gifts.

I do plan to do a garden, soon, but that's going to be a "work up to it" project as well. :angel:

yeah I know that feeling. Buying your first house takes up all your time and energy. the garden will come with time.

Well not to worry. Like you pointed out, there are plenty of things to can even if you do not have a garden.

best of luck. You will love it once you get into it.

Any suggestions on size of canner? I see everything out there from 10 qts to over 40 qts!

Which size have y'all found to be most useful? I mean, I'm sure they're all useful in the right situation, but what's the most common, most often used one, do you think?

Any comments on brand?

Well I just got into it, much like yourself. I ended up buying this on Amazon. Came with everything one needs to get started--including that book. So I guess my answer would be 21 1/2 quarts :P.

Yeah, I've looked at that one several times, also. But I think I want to go with a pressure canner right at the beginning, so that I can do any type, rather than having to have two different canners for different things.

Of course, those cost more, so I may break down and get this one first.... :rolleyes:

Look around. $50 seems like a lot to spend for this kit. The book costs about $5 and you can get a canning pot for very little money as well. All the other things you need are very inexpensive too when bought on their own. I would think the most you would need to spend would be around $30 or so.

I dunno...I mean, if the book retails for 5 bucks...and you assume the accessories kit is another 10 if you get a little cheapie set...I don't really know as though I'd want a 15 dollar pot. I figured the pot in this kit accounted for about 30 of the total price, and even at that, it makes it the cheapest pot or pan I have in my kitchen. I'd be wary of the quality of something that large yet that inexpensive.

For canning you do not need an expensive pot. It's only function is to boil water and be wide enough to hold the cans. As long as it can do that then you are in business.

said:
[GBFor canning you do not need an expensive pot. It's only function is to boil water and be wide enough to hold the cans. As long as it can do that then you are in business../quote]

I have a very old, very large enameled tin pot, and a rack that fits inside it big enough to hold six jars upright. It does fine. I dont remember how much it cost, but it must have been very little, I may have even gotten it used.

I think all you really need is the large pot, a rack keeps the bottles from banging together when they boil, a pair of tongs to lift the jars, and the jars. Good luck

First thing is a good book or resource on canning for the 21st Century ... the Ball Blue Book of Preserving is cheap (about $5) and the standard text ... but, they have a new expanded edition (with more recipes) out called the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving (about $14). Of course if you want to sepend some time online ... there is the National Center for Home Food Preservation - which is sponsored by the USDA .... and free.

As for which canner pot to get ... the first question is what kind of stove-top do you have? If it is a glass/ceramic cooktop ... read the manual that came with your cooktop ... or call their user information line. There is a limit as to the weight they can support. If you have a standard electric stovetop - you may not be able to use the old standard pots used on gas stovetops - you need a flat rather than "wavy" bottom - and for big pots you may need to upgrade to a heavy-duty burner element.

As for a preference in "pressure canners" - which can also be used as boiling-water canners, or pressure cookers ... I prefer the All American line because of how they are made - but they are more expensive initially than some others. Less expensive, but still good quality, is Presto pressure canners ... but you have to replace rubber gaskets every year or two ... (these links are just for demonstration of what I'm talking about ... you may be able to find better prices elsewhere on the net or locally ...)

FYI - pressure canners can be used as pressure cookers (often called pressure cooker/canners) - but pressure cookers can not be used as pressure canners unless they specificaly say they are dual function. A pressure cooker/canner can not be used as a pressure fryer (to make homemade KFC).

Back
Top Bottom