Canning & Preserving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angiebc

Assistant Cook
Very interesting! Have been rooted to my seat, scanning through the many past discussions & contributions on canning & preserving by members.

Correct me. Canning is bottling? I come from the eastern world and the weather can be extremely hot. I'm a squirrel. I hoard and keep empty, reusable bottles, washed them clean, invert them to naturally air-dry in the hot sun. I keep them, in case of need, to store ground spices and hot paste.

I'm now into homemade jams and looking forward to test whether my jams turn out right with friends as gifts. I will buy bottles with a seal to fill them. More presentable as gifts.

There's abundance of tropical fruits like pineapple, mangoes, durians, longans, lychees, bananas, tangerines, guava, etc. How and when do I apply pectin and tartaric acid to fruits from the tropics? I believe there's a difference in sweetness to that of strawberries, apples etc.

In order to keep them for better shelf-life, would you advise that I hot-bath them or simply fill them up in the bottle, seal them and invert them to allow them to cool them completely. After all the hard work, I do not want them to turn watery & mouldy. I like the idea of inverting the bottles. More convenient. Opinions and suggestions please.

Cheers!

Angie
:)

Yep, canning equals bottling.

Here is a website with everything you need to know to get started successfully and safely.

National Center for Home Food Preservation | USDA Publications

Filling the jars and inverting them is an old technique, and not recommended any more.

Enjoy, feel free to ask us all more questions, and enjoy those jewel-like jars lined up on the counter when you are done.

Canning & Preserves

Thanks Sparrowgrass for the direction to the website. Very helpful & informative. Will get back to you on my achievements.

Angie ;)

Back
Top Bottom