Canning Black Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elusiv

Assistant Cook
Hello,
I am new to canning(I have an instant pot that I can use to can with). I just made a bunch of black beans in the pressure cooker and was wondering if it was possible to can them. I have some pint size jars I would like to try out.

I tried looking online but most of the articles seem to deal with canning dried beans and I got the impression they were cooking them while they were canning.

If there is a particular article or something that I can be sent to, that would be great.

Thanks,

Elusiv (David)

Elusiv, you are elusive, :)
Recipes that are safe are one's that are tested. Usually I google 'university extension recipes' on google.

Beans can be cooked from raw (unsoaked and unprecooked) in the jar in a pressure canner, but, they often stick together badly, though they are safe and taste great. They are often referred to as 'a brick of beans'. To break them up, rinse them under cold running water before using them, breaking them apart with a spoon or your hands.

Beans can be presoaked, then canned in a jar in a pressure canner.

Beans can partially precooked, then canned in a jar in a pressure canner.

Beans can be both presoaked and then partially precooked, then canned in a jar in a pressure canner.

The usual recommendations are to sanitize the jars/lids/screwcaps, presoak or precook, measure the beans, the salt, the water leaving a headspace of 1/2 inch or 1 inch, pressure canning at specific pressures, depending on the size of the jar and the elevation of your location for a specific amount of time.

As to whether you can use an instapot to pressure can, that I don't know.

Hi, Elusiv. Bliss is right - safe canning requires using tested recipes. In the United States, land-grant state universities do the testing. And great place to start is here: http://nchfp.uga.edu

Pressure canning using a pressure *cooker" is not recommended because testing has not been done on them, so you can't know whether it has maintained the necessary pressure and temperature for the required period of time to kill the pathogens (primarily botulinum spores). You need a pressure *canner.*

I have an Instant Pot and I know they say it can be used for canning, but I do not trust it. I do use it for sterilizing the jars for a small batch, though.

Welcome to DC! I don't think you're supposed to use the Instant Pot for pressure canning, only for steam canning things like jams, pickles, and other high acid foods. As was previously stated, the testing hasn't been done.

Edit: Duh. I meant waterbath canning, not steam canning.

Last edited:
Welcome to DC! I don't think you're supposed to use the Instant Pot for pressure canning, only for steam canning things like jams, pickles, and other high acid foods. As was previously stated, the testing hasn't been done.
Dawg, it hasn't been approved by the USDA or Cooperative Extension for that, yet, either. There's no budget for things like this, either, right now, so I wouldn't expect that to change anytime soon.

You cannot pressure can in an Instant Pot. Its not safe.

You can water bath can in it but its not very big for that, so the stove usually works better.

Back
Top Bottom