"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 10-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillbert View Post
the biggest issue in years of late is pressure canning vs. the old boiling water bath route.
There's nothing "old" about Boiling Water Bath canning. It's a requirement for all high-acid foods (jams, jellies and pickling). Pressure canning is only used for low-acid food processing (meats and veggies) and with adherence to tested recipes or there is a good chance your food can turn to mush.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Ack! I can't seem to get my point across. It's probably my fault, I'm having a crummy week.

What I'm talking about recipes meant to be canned, found in canning-specific cookbooks. It's just that because of past experience, in which I've found incorrect and potentially dangerous information in books, I don't automatically trust that just because something is in a book, it's automatically safe/correct/etc. I've canned before and I'm up on all of the risks, which is why I'm cautious here. Since I'm not an expert, I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to recognize a crappy canning recipe when I see one. I was hoping for some information on how to evaluate canning recipes found in canning cookbooks to make sure they're actually good.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
Head Chef

Like someone mentioned before, you might want to contact you County Extension office and do the Master Canning program... They may be able to help you.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple*tart View Post
I was hoping for some information on how to evaluate canning recipes found in canning cookbooks to make sure they're actually good.
There's no way to 'evaluate' a recipe as being safe just by looking at it. That is the job of the food scientist with a Ph.D. and a quality laboratory, but you can become aware of the most common dangers just by improving your knowledge and experience in food preserving. Other than that, it is constantly stressed to stick to the known and trusted sources -- Ball Blue Books, NCHFP, etc., and Discussion boards that support safe canning practices.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:05 PM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
There's nothing "old" about Boiling Water Bath canning. It's a requirement for all high-acid foods (jams, jellies and pickling). Pressure canning is only used for low-acid food processing (meats and veggies) and with adherence to tested recipes or there is a good chance your food can turn to mush.
would you settle for "old but still viable" Boiling Water Bath Method?

frankly, I'd say it is "old" - it "invented" home canning.
some more modern day things have pointed out that boiling water baths are not adequate/safe for "anything you want to do on a coal stove" - which is where I got introduced to canning quarts and quarts and quarts and quarts of green beans.....
Old 10-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillbert View Post
would you settle for "old but still viable" Boiling Water Bath Method?
No, because that is not correct. If you believe that then I would encourage you to take the online study course at the National Center for Home Food Preservation to brush up on your food preservation knowledge. It's free, you get a Certification of Completion in the end, and it has only 4 sections to it. I finished it in less than a day.

And you should know by now that green beans are a low-acid food and MUST be processed in a pressure canner to be safe in order to kill the C. Botulinum spore. It loves to make Botulism Toxin in those kind of foods in a sealed jar. On the other hand, jams, jellies and most pickled goods are high-acid and not liked by the Botulinum spore so it will not grow, so such foods only have to kill off the standard bacterias, molds, yeasts, and fungi that also exist, and that can be done in a Boiling Water Canner with little or no loss of food quality.

Each canning method has its purpose and use, and yes by today's standards.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #17
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
No, because that is not correct. If you believe that then I would encourage you to take the online study course at the National Center for Home Food Preservation to brush up on your food preservation knowledge. It's free, you get a Certification of Completion in the end, and it has only 4 sections to it. I finished it in less than a day.

And you should know by now that green beans are a low-acid food and MUST be processed in a pressure canner to be safe in order to kill the C. Botulinum spore. It loves to make Botulism Toxin in those kind of foods in a sealed jar. On the other hand, jams, jellies and most pickled goods are high-acid and not liked by the Botulinum spore so it will not grow, so such foods only have to kill off the standard bacterias, molds, yeasts, and fungi that also exist, and that can be done in a Boiling Water Canner with little or no loss of food quality.

Each canning method has its purpose and use, and yes by today's standards.

absolutely correct.

YO ADMIN - please edit my post to read "new water bath methods"
or
better yet:
"Deleted due to nonsensical nit picking."
Old 10-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Apple*tart, what are you canning? Vegetables, fruits, preserves/jam, jelly?
Old 10-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Fruits, mostly. Preserves, chutneys, whatnot.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #20
Senior Cook

One of my favorite books is Christine Ferber's Mes Confitures which has some unusual pairings of ingredients.

You can find it on amazon.