Hello everyone! Just joined the site and I have a question I was hoping you could answer. I'm thinking about making homemade Christmas presents this year and I saw this post in simple living.
Pickled Bloody Mary Mix | Stocking Stuffer Ideas | Real Simple
So, I'm thinking about making a huge batch of fresh Bloody Mary Mix and canning it to give out to friends.
Now I know I have to boil any jars I use and make sure to keep everything clean and sealed but I have a few questions.
1. Can I use old pasta jars as long as I boil them and freeze them until I give them away or do I have to use mason jars?
2. Does anyone know of stores that would sell mason (or other appropriate canning jars) in the city of Philadelphia?
3. Can I freeze these jars until I'm ready to give them out? Do I have to worry about the glass breaking or anything?
4. Are there any other issues that might arise that a novice canner should watch out for?
5. Finally, do you think it makes sense to add the vodka to the mix and then can them or to simply give away the mix without the vodka? (considering what it will look like, how it will keep, how it will taste etc.)
Thanks for all the help and advice you guys!
/Originally I was thinking about using old pasta jars