Canning dill pickles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cutting off the blossom end of the pickles (required) has nothing to do with the crispness of the pickle. If you can't find fresh grape leaves, consider buying Ball "Pickle Crisp" or food grade Calcium Chloride. Does the same thing and is much safer than alum or lime soaks.

Thank you. From internet searching, it seems that Ball has stopped making Pickle Crisp. I'm not even sure it was ever available in Canada. I also Googled CaCl and it seems safe in moderation, even by my standards ;) I was kinda curious about that, because I see it listed in the ingredients of a lot of food.

But, I have secured more than one source of fresh grape leaves from friends, so that's what I will use. I always prefer the natural stuff, unless it's something like cyanide.

Ball® is again selling their Pickle Crisp and you should be able to find it online and in many stores. They stopped for awhile because they lost their main supplier.

Yes, Calcium Chloride is used for a lot of things, both in foods and non-foods. In pickling all it takes is about 3/4 tsp in a pint jar or double that in a quart. I often use less and am still satisfied with the improvement.

I just saw an episode of Ask Aida. They addressed the question of blue garlic. Aida said that two things can cause it. Either the acid in the recipe reacted with the pigment in the garlic and turned it colors or the garlic came in contact with copper which will cause the same reaction. She said that it usually goes away after a while but in any case it is safe to eat.

Intersting I do nto add any acid to my recipe. It is salt, garlic and dill, that's it. ANd for sure there is no brass of any kind in my plastick pail.

Intersting I do nto add any acid to my recipe. It is salt, garlic and dill, that's it. ANd for sure there is no brass of any kind in my plastick pail.

Lactic acid is formed in the process of lacto-fermentation, so maybe that's where the acid comes from.

Back
Top Bottom