canning fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

groundhog

Assistant Cook
I am going to attempt to can some of the trout and catfish I have in my freezer before it burns. Any tips or recipes?? I have eated canned suckers but dont have a clue about how to can them.

Is the fish considered cooked after if is canned or will it still need cooking.

I am trying my new pressure canner with the plain recipie they give.

The USDA has some information on Canning Seafood and Fish you might find informative, as does the University of Wisconsin - USDA Cooperative Extension's publication Canning Meat, Wild Game, Poultry and Fish Safely.

While none of the information I could find comes right out and says that raw fish will be cooked when the canning is done ... I can't imagine it being anything else. Fish doesn't have to reach a very high internal temperature to be cooked (about 125-F) - and after 1.5 - 2.5 hours in a pressure canner in excess of 240-F, I don't think it could be considered as anything but cooked.

Canned fish, IMHO, is rather bland and is going to need something to gussy it up a bit - think what you normally do with canned tuna, mackerel, or salmon.

You can freeze your fish raw (for up to about 3-5 years) without having to worry about freezer burn if you use a vacuum sealer, such as one of the FoodSaver models.

Canning is just one method of food preservation - and not always the best bet for everything.

Back
Top Bottom