Canning Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SmoothBites

Assistant Cook
There's absolutely nothing better than waking up and having fresh squeezed orange juice with breakfast! It's one of life's simple little pleasures!

With our trip coming up for 2 weeks I thought it'd be great to can the juice here and take it with us in 500ml jars. I googled it and found it's possible, but there's some mixed reactions on the end product. We have a Cuisinart Compact Juice Extractor and removes all the pulp, leaving you with pure golden juice. We always use Naval oranges and cut off the rind and pith.

I read that some find it better to add sugar to boost the sweetness a bit. You need to bring the juice to a temperature of 190F for 5min, then add it sterilized jars, seal, and process in a water bath canner for 15min. After this just let them cool and pop a top anytime you want a ray of sunshine.

Is this correct? Any tips? Advice?

Thanks a lot!

There's absolutely nothing better than waking up and having fresh squeezed orange juice with breakfast! It's one of life's simple little pleasures!

With our trip coming up for 2 weeks I thought it'd be great to can the juice here and take it with us in 500ml jars. I googled it and found it's possible, but there's some mixed reactions on the end product. We have a Cuisinart Compact Juice Extractor and removes all the pulp, leaving you with pure golden juice. We always use Naval oranges and cut off the rind and pith.

I read that some find it better to add sugar to boost the sweetness a bit. You need to bring the juice to a temperature of 190F for 5min, then add it sterilized jars, seal, and process in a water bath canner for 15min. After this just let them cool and pop a top anytime you want a ray of sunshine.

Is this correct? Any tips? Advice?

Thanks a lot!
But if you preserve the juice you won't be drinking freshly squeezed orange juice, will you? The method you describe probably destroys much of the vitamin C and a lot of the taste and involves carting a lot of clutter around with you. Why not just take the oranges and a little hand juice squeezer and then you can have REAL freshly squeezed orange juice every morning?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom