Canning Green Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
Doesn't anyone can green beans anymore. I put up 5 quarts of dilly beans 2 weeks ago and 7 quarts of canned beans last saturday. I'm growing bush style and pole beans, yummy! :)

Green beans are probably canned more than any other vegetable, in the hundreds of jars at a time by some people. I just hope you Pressure Canned those 7 quarts of regular beans.

I prefer doing Dilly Bills, but I'm not growing beans this year so I'm not pushed. Right now it is salsa from an over abundance of tomatoes. Also been doing relishes, especially with zucchinis.

Yep, I pressure canned them, the 7 quarts. Water bathed canned the dilly beans, which I only JUST tried, this past two years, they are just great!

yeppers, I can green beans....I always plant green beans, but I do not can them every year. I tend to plant a LOT of a given vegetable and concentrate on canning that vegetable a season. I like my green beans better fresh, than put by.

I just water bath canned some dilly beans today. And pressure canned green beans a couple of weeks ago with the first picking. It was our first year of green beans and canning. I hope to do a lot more.

What are Dilly Beans?

I plan on pressure canning some green beans this year. Maybe a dozen or so pints just to try out.

Is it green beans that everyone freeks out over getting botulism (sp?)? Someone at work told me she would never cans corn because she has always heard bad things happening with it.

Dilly Beans are pickled green beans, which is the only safe way to process them in a Boiling Water Canner. Recipe is in the Ball Blue Book.

Sure, I do. I can them by the pint because we have a small family. I've put up about 40 pints. For us, bean season is quickly coming to a close. My All-American gets a workout every summer, but this one actually less than usual. Wet, cool summer = lower yield on everything.

What are Dilly Beans?

I plan on pressure canning some green beans this year. Maybe a dozen or so pints just to try out.

Is it green beans that everyone freeks out over getting botulism (sp?)? Someone at work told me she would never cans corn because she has always heard bad things happening with it.

Yes, they are pickled green beans. Usually a little spicey as you add cayenne pepper, garlic and dill to the jar.

I don't have a pressure canner so we freeze our beans (haven't been home in 3 weeks so am even sure I will have beans to freeze!).
Blissful ... do you mind sharing your dilly recipe? We love bloody mary's and those would be perfect!

J--
top and tail the beans and rinse them.
Figure out how many jars fit in the canner before you start.
decide on how much beans you can fit them in...as whole as possible.
sterilize the jars, let the beans dry a little. It's never exact.
Make enough brine to fill those jars making a bring of the following proportions.

4 teaspoons salt (table salt non iodized or canning salt)
2 1/2 cups white vinegar
2 1/2 cups water

get it to boiling, and start the water bath canner with some water in it and get it hot--plan on the jars filling some of the space and the water covering the jars.
Boil the lids and screw caps in a separate pan with water.

After the jars are sterilized by washing them and dipping them in boiling water, fill full of beans, drop a few garlic cloves in them, some dill and some red pepper flakes if you like.
Pour in brine into each jar to 1/2 inch of the top, take a napkin or towel and dip it in boiling water (from the lids) and wipe the tops of the jars. Then put the sterilized lids on top, and the screw caps, medium tight.

Put them in the hot water (everything needs to be close to the same temperature so the jars don't break) in the canner making sure the hot water is over the top of the cans, bring to a boil and then then let boil for 10 minutes. Turn off and remove and cool on a towel, until the jar's lid's ping.

Some of my friends like them with hot pepper flakes and some do not, in either case they are good on salads and alone.
J-- I think they'd be good in bloody marys :)

Thank you Bliss! We got home last night and our beans are looking a bit sad but I know I can find them at the farmer's markets. I'm going to give this a try!
Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom