"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 08-13-2015, 04:14 PM   #11
Sous Chef

yup.

that's what the reference said.

"They're two different animals" is completely incorrect. they both use pressure to raise the internal temperature beyond the 212'F atmospheric water boiling point.

they are not different animals, they are different size animals.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:40 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I consider them different animals because with one you have a pressure gauge and the other one you don't. Say to can green beans, you can can them at 10 pounds pressure for 50 minutes or at 15 pounds pressure for 40 minutes. I AM MAKING UP THESE NUMBERS. With a pressure cooker you have no idea as to the amount of pressure inside the cooker and therefore no idea how long to can any food stuffs.

Today I pressure cooked some dried, soaked pinto beans for one hour and 40 minutes. I have no idea the pressure they were cooking at. It doesn't matter. All that matters is that the beans were done to DH's liking.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:39 AM   #13
Sous Chef

the old style with a weighted jiggle valve came with either one fixed weight or dual weights - and if one read the manual one knew what pressure which weight operated at.

the newer ones have a spring loaded pressure valve and perhaps a gauge.

now and then one hears about the spring types getting clogged up and the pressure cooker blowing its safety plug - which doesn't seem to happen with the old style weighted ones.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #14
Head Chef

Oh, I blew the safety plug on my pressure canner, the one with the weighted jiggler. :) They need to be checked and replaced from time to time.

Tags
beans, cook, pressure cooker