Canning Homemade Marinara

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
K-girl, no pressurer canner for me, I use a waterbath or steam canner.

I was hopeful about the electric pressure canner, but sadly it looks pretty bleak.

Or drop it on the glass. :ohmy:

One of my students years ago told me his mother had to get a new glass top, he'd hopped up on it, sat on it, and broke it!

So far so good with my canning equipment.

Dawg, do you can in the water bath method tomato sauce?

GG, do you use a pressure canner or water bath?

K-girl, I've done salsa in the WB canner, but never anything with meat. You'd have to use a pressure canner for that.

Tomato products like marinara should be fine in the WB, as long as they're acidic enough. The Ball Blue Book, along with the extension agencies, have some good recipes.

Last edited:
AND THEN...
I'm reading that you're not suppose to pressure can above 3000 altitude...
we live at almost 4000 feet now and are planning on moving EVEN HIGHER!
WHAT?!

Absolutely not true.

I live at 7000 ft and pressure can. I have/use guidelines from the New Mexico Extensive Service. Pressure pounds will change the higher you go. I use guidelines for 6001 feet to 8000 feet elevation when pressure canning.

Absolutely not true.

I live at 7000 ft and pressure can. I have/use guidelines from the New Mexico Extensive Service. Pressure pounds will change the higher you go. I use guidelines for 6001 feet to 8000 feet elevation when pressure canning.

Beth, what brand of pressure canner do you use?

It's so comical... DH yells out to me this afternoon from his den, where he's watching Baseball, "HEY! LOOK! There's that Pressure Cooker again. Do you still want it?"
So I filled him on what you folks have shared with me so far.

Mine is an almost 20 year old Presto, model 01750. I used to have it regularly tested at the extension office, and I do keep a few gaskets on hand. And I always read the instructions before each canning season even though I have been canning 40+ years!

Which Magic seal (size etc.) do you have and do you have gas or glass top electric AND what elevation are you at, AND do you can tomato sauce?

Questions, questions, questions ...

Mine must be a 16-17 quart as it holds 6-7 quart jars, 10 pints, 12 half pints. Gas stove top, we are about 1000 feet above sea level. Yes I can tomato sauce, meat, dried beans, green beans, corn, in the pressure canner.

I can jams, jellies, pickles, sauerkraut, apple sauce, apple butter, fruit in syrup, in the water bath canner. I also acidify my tomatoes and make ketchup and use the water bath canner.

Back
Top Bottom