Canning Homemade Marinara

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
I'm not sure if this has been discussed previously, so forgive me if I'm being redundant.

sauce.jpg

I make my own Marinara in large quantities and have jarred them using the water bath method, without any citric acid and my girl friend said that that is not a safe way to do it.
Okay, so then I made a batch with citric acid and it was SOOOOO sour, it ruined my gorgeous sauce.
Then, an old friend of my husband's says that he puts up his tomato sauce in a pressure caner, without citric acid.

Which direction should I go?

If you are water bath canning, the PH of the sauce needs to be a PH of 4.6 or lower (more acidic), and usually it is done with lemon juice or citric acid.
OR
Skip the citric acid or lemon juice and use the pressure canner. It uses higher pressure and temperature and doesn't need the lower PH.

Either one is fine.

In the case of acidic tomato sauce, add a pinch of baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar when serving, to cut the acid.

thanks for that blissful

Andy M, I freeze my sauce for our own consumption, but I also like to give it as gifts. My Mother doesn't make her own sauce, but likes mine and now that she lives in a different state, this is something that I now do for her... along with many other items that I 'put up' for her.

It sounds to me like I should just bit the bullet and buy a pressure canner.

So okay, let me ask a follow up question:

if I add meats to the sauce, what I mean is that I've cooked the Marinara with say, meatballs or sausages or boneless pork ribs in it and then wanted to can the leftover sauce, minus the meats...

how should I proceed?

will pressure canning do the trick here too?

thanks for that blissful

Andy M, I freeze my sauce for our own consumption, but I also like to give it as gifts. My Mother doesn't make her own sauce, but likes mine and now that she lives in a different state, this is something that I now do for her... along with many other items that I 'put up' for her.

It sounds to me like I should just bit the bullet and buy a pressure canner.

Sorry, K-girl. If you do a lot of canning, a pressure canner may be the most logical solution.

The methods to heat, the temperature, and the altitude above sea level, the size of the jar, the contents of the jar, all those specifics can be found if you google "pressure canning university extension". You will find recipes and the specifics of the method.

There are different kinds and sizes of pressure canners. Some are without gaskets (I think the all-american brand is one) some have silicone or rubber gaskets. Some have a pressure dial which you can read and you adjust your heat to bring it to the correct temperature/pressure for the correct amount of time. (dials and pressure canners need to be checked for accuracy yearly) Some don't have pressure dials, they use weights which are also called rockers, which rock at specific pressures so you know you are up to the correct pressure, then you begin timing.

Some pressure canners hold 6 or 7 quarts, some hold many many more quarts, some even stack pints in two layers. Mine hold 6-7 quarts, I run it over two burners on the gas stove. Some newer flat top electric stoves with glass warn consumers not to put heavy things like canners on the stove as they may cause too much stress.

I'm not an expert but this will give you a run down summary of what to expect if you are buying one or finding one at a rummage sale or craigs list. Good luck!

K'girl, this is the best place to get up-to-date information on safe canning: National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Can

GotGarlic has it right. Look at the tomato sauce recipes in Ball Blue Book and pick the one that is most similar to your recipe. It is ok to adjust spices, not ok to adjust the ratio of tomatoes to other ingredients, not ok to leave out vinegar or other acids.

Chances of killing someone with home canned stuff are slim, but chances of spoilage if you don't do it right are high, and I don't want to waste my time and ingredients.

... snipped ...

There are different kinds and sizes of pressure canners. Some are without gaskets (I think the all-american brand is one) some have silicone or rubber gaskets. .... snipped ....
I'm not an expert but this will give you a run down summary of what to expect if you are buying one or finding one at a rummage sale or craigs list. Good luck!

Blissful, I 'Goggled' All American brand pressure cookers, I see what you're saying now.
DH and I turned the TV on the other night and it was set to QVC and they were selling this all in one type/electric/countertop model, it was for something like $100USD it looked pretty slick. I've NEVER used a pressure cooker of any type before. :neutral:

So okay, let me ask a follow up question:

if I add meats to the sauce, what I mean is that I've cooked the Marinara with say, meatballs or sausages or boneless pork ribs in it and then wanted to can the leftover sauce, minus the meats...

how should I proceed?

will pressure canning do the trick here too?

Pressure canning will do the trick K-Girl. :chef:
And once you've added meat to the sauce pressure canning is the only way you can go.

I see a purchase in your future. :whistling

An All American canner is a Cadillac among canners. You won't be sorry if you get one. :D

But less expensive canners will do the job and if you don't plan on using it a lot it might be the way to go.

Yard sales and second hand stores are a great place to find them. ;)

ETA
Blissful, I 'Goggled' All American brand pressure cookers, I see what you're saying now.

DH and I turned the TV on the other night and it was set to QVC and they were selling this all in one type/electric/countertop model, it was for something like $100USD it looked pretty slick. I've NEVER used a pressure cooker of any type before. :neutral:

K-Girl, A pressure cooker and a pressure canner are 2 different beasts.
I don't think the one you saw on TV was a canner.

Last edited:
I wish I had an all-american, I hear they are nice.

I have a Magic Seal, used $10 very old. If you buy used plan on spending $20-30 on a new gasket, dial, pressure release valve. The seal needs to be replaced every 3-5 years. I'm totally happy with my little investment of a used one.

I started asking around about canning supplies from friends after a while. You'd be surprised how many grandma's and great aunts have downsized after the kids are all grown, and they are willing to give you really good prices on hundreds of jars, and canners, at little prices or free.
Good luck to you!

I wish I had an all-american, I hear they are nice.

I have a Magic Seal, used $10 very old. If you buy used plan on spending $20-30 on a new gasket, dial, pressure release valve. The seal needs to be replaced every 3-5 years. I'm totally happy with my little investment of a used one.

I started asking around about canning supplies from friends after a while. You'd be surprised how many grandma's and great aunts have downsized after the kids are all grown, and they are willing to give you really good prices on hundreds of jars, and canners, at little prices or free.
Good luck to you!
Great tip about the folks downsizing. Thanks.

I was thinking of using a counter top model,
any suggestions?
I have one of those glass top electric ranges, hate it, and I kinda feel like maybe the counter top model would be less frightening to me.
And Zagut, what does ETA meaning?

ETA meant "Edited to Add". Because computer illiterate dummies like me get confused sometimes. :bangin:

K-Girl, I don't think you'll find a counter top pressure canner that's what you want. I guess they are out there but don't confuse canner with cooker. Your best bet is to find a canner you feel comfortable buying and I think your glass top will work just fine.
Glass tops just don't want you to put too much weight on them so don't go for the Giant size canner and you should be fine. ;)

Sadly, I have to agree, if it is a multi-use counter top electric pressure cooker possibly a canner, you might want to read this article. They are against it and once tested they will give recommendations.

The smaller stove top pressure canner can be used to can, and it CAN be used as a cooker (but not usually done, as food may clog the pressure air valve). Lots of options.

No Pressure Canning in electric pressure & multi-cookers says NCHFP | hip pressure cooking

ETA meant "Edited to Add". Because computer illiterate dummies like me get confused sometimes. :bangin:

K-Girl, I don't think you'll find a counter top pressure canner that's what you want. I guess they are out there but don't confuse canner with cooker. Your best bet is to find a canner you feel comfortable buying and I think your glass top will work just fine.
Glass tops just don't want you to put too much weight on them so don't go for the Giant size canner and you should be fine. ;)

I've done a lot of canning on my glass top, no biggie. As Zagut stated, just don't put too much weight on it.

Back
Top Bottom