"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 09-28-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Canning Homemade Marinara

I'm not sure if this has been discussed previously, so forgive me if I'm being redundant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sauce.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	23560

I make my own Marinara in large quantities and have jarred them using the water bath method, without any citric acid and my girl friend said that that is not a safe way to do it.
Okay, so then I made a batch with citric acid and it was SOOOOO sour, it ruined my gorgeous sauce.
Then, an old friend of my husband's says that he puts up his tomato sauce in a pressure caner, without citric acid.

Which direction should I go?

Old 09-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
Head Chef

If you are water bath canning, the PH of the sauce needs to be a PH of 4.6 or lower (more acidic), and usually it is done with lemon juice or citric acid.
OR
Skip the citric acid or lemon juice and use the pressure canner. It uses higher pressure and temperature and doesn't need the lower PH.

Either one is fine.

In the case of acidic tomato sauce, add a pinch of baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar when serving, to cut the acid.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:59 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Freeze the sauce in meal size containers.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
Head Chef

thanks for that blissful

Andy M, I freeze my sauce for our own consumption, but I also like to give it as gifts. My Mother doesn't make her own sauce, but likes mine and now that she lives in a different state, this is something that I now do for her... along with many other items that I 'put up' for her.

It sounds to me like I should just bit the bullet and buy a pressure canner.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:19 PM   #5
Head Chef

So okay, let me ask a follow up question:

if I add meats to the sauce, what I mean is that I've cooked the Marinara with say, meatballs or sausages or boneless pork ribs in it and then wanted to can the leftover sauce, minus the meats...

how should I proceed?

will pressure canning do the trick here too?
Old 09-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
thanks for that blissful

Andy M, I freeze my sauce for our own consumption, but I also like to give it as gifts. My Mother doesn't make her own sauce, but likes mine and now that she lives in a different state, this is something that I now do for her... along with many other items that I 'put up' for her.

It sounds to me like I should just bit the bullet and buy a pressure canner.
Sorry, K-girl. If you do a lot of canning, a pressure canner may be the most logical solution.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:07 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

K'girl, this is the best place to get up-to-date information on safe canning: http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_home.html
Old 09-28-2015, 09:07 PM   #8
Head Chef

The methods to heat, the temperature, and the altitude above sea level, the size of the jar, the contents of the jar, all those specifics can be found if you google "pressure canning university extension". You will find recipes and the specifics of the method.

There are different kinds and sizes of pressure canners. Some are without gaskets (I think the all-american brand is one) some have silicone or rubber gaskets. Some have a pressure dial which you can read and you adjust your heat to bring it to the correct temperature/pressure for the correct amount of time. (dials and pressure canners need to be checked for accuracy yearly) Some don't have pressure dials, they use weights which are also called rockers, which rock at specific pressures so you know you are up to the correct pressure, then you begin timing.

Some pressure canners hold 6 or 7 quarts, some hold many many more quarts, some even stack pints in two layers. Mine hold 6-7 quarts, I run it over two burners on the gas stove. Some newer flat top electric stoves with glass warn consumers not to put heavy things like canners on the stove as they may cause too much stress.

I'm not an expert but this will give you a run down summary of what to expect if you are buying one or finding one at a rummage sale or craigs list. Good luck!
Old 09-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
K'girl, this is the best place to get up-to-date information on safe canning: National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Can
GotGarlic has it right. Look at the tomato sauce recipes in Ball Blue Book and pick the one that is most similar to your recipe. It is ok to adjust spices, not ok to adjust the ratio of tomatoes to other ingredients, not ok to leave out vinegar or other acids.

Chances of killing someone with home canned stuff are slim, but chances of spoilage if you don't do it right are high, and I don't want to waste my time and ingredients.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Sorry, K-girl. If you do a lot of canning, a pressure canner may be the most logical solution.
Andy, "a ole pilikia", it's no trouble/no worries ... for some reason that's what goes to me sometimes, is Hawaiian

Tags
homemade, marinara