Canning Pulled Pork with sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessireb

Assistant Cook
Has anyone here ever canned pulled pork with bbq sauce? We are thinking it would be really convenient to pull it right out of the jars for a quick dinner.

I really didn't want to freeze it because it is just the two of us and by the time we can eat it all it ends up freezer burned, plus we have two homes one we live in and one we work in (self employed) and I wanted to keep a few jars there for the late nights.

I think I will just buy pork butt on sale and can it without the sauce and then add to it when we eat it. I might even try my hand at canning some bbq sauce.

Can it with a little tomato or molasses sauce for flavor. BBQ sauce with the meat might be too thick and would hamper penetration of heat. I would then add then BBQ sauce after a jar is opened.

If I can pork raw do I have to add juice or will it make its own? When I can deer meat raw I don't add any juice and it makes it's own.

Wow, I haven't done a search on this subject but I do have some questions.

Canning meat; can one just load the jar with meat and process in either of the methods. Where do I learn about this?

Instructions for canning meat are found in the Ball Blue Book, the canner's bible, which everyone should have.

Jessireb I would not recommend canning anything "dry". Liquid should always be added.

Instructions for canning meats can also be found on the National Center for Home Food Preservation site under How do I can meats? And, I would follow the instructions - there are some instances where you do NOT add liquid, however not in the case of cooked pulled pork with BBQ sauce.

This would be a good use for one of those HandiVac vacuum sealers. Just cook, pull, sauce and cool your pork - then divide up into quart bags, seal and vacuum. No problem of freezer burn - and the portions can be for one or two persons - whatever amount you want.

When I was a kid living in Georgia we used to get something like this in a can ... the texture wasn't that great.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your responses. I have canned deer meat in the past and always pressure can/cook it. I never add liquid to it because it makes it's own juice. It comes out sooo tender!

I am all about convenience and do my best to practice proper canning procedures. Even though canning is alot of work - in the end the convenience of having your dinner ready in a short time it wonderful.

I am getting ready to do chili, but have to wait until hamburger is on sale.

I think I will try just plain pork butt with no bbq sauce. If you never try it you'll never know if you like it.

wow, this thread is really useful. I'm new here, but I like to know more about canning.

You can learn about canning by purchasing a current copy of the Ball Blue Book of Preserving, which is the canner's bible, and also visiting the National Center for Home Food Preservation (http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html).

Canning is the process of pasteurizing (killing bacteria) foods so they are shelf stable and falls in two categoriies: (1) Boiling Water Canner for high-acid foods like pickles and Jams & Jellies; and (2) Pressure Canner for low-acid foods like meats and vegetables.

I've made a lot of pulled pork. I've never canned it but a good way to save some is to use food saver bags and then in the freezer. When you're ready for some just warm it up, still sealed in the bag, in a pot of simmering water. It comes out tasting like the day you smoked it.

Back
Top Bottom