Canning question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
Hi everyone.

I have a pressure cooker, and I like to do one jar or 2 of hot peppers?

What I'm trying to do, seal up 15 habs, 2 Hungarians, 7 jalapino's, 4 red peppers after I have deseeded them and cut them into little bits, And I want them to age for 6+ months before I make the hot sauce a friend gave me the recipe too!

Or could I seal one to 2 jars of this stuff using a 10 inch dutch oven?

I dry my peppers.
Have you looked up anything on the Ball Canning site? It's been linked here on posts on other threads. Look at that, follow their directions for canning peppers, if they even recommend it. Might find pickled peppers or relish using peppers, or tomato sauces with peppers...
Personally, I wouldn't can them (preserve) in a jar with a liquid, unless you really want to pickle them, or make a tomato-based sauce and they (the peppers) are not the primary ingredient. If they are going to be cooked anyway, chop and freeze them, ready to put into a sauce.

you can do like you make sambal,

take all the ingredients (take out the seeds) and put them in a blender,
add about a cup of oil
Blend it fine and put the mixture a a pan.

add a 2 cups of water and cook for about 30 minutes till one hour (get the right concistency)

then you can put that in pickle jars and it stay's oke for ages.....
also you can freeze it, or vacuum bags, even in the fridge it holds really well

good luck

I would not recommend using a pressure 'cooker' as a pressure 'canner'. I don't even think they work at the same pressure level. Cookers usually have long handles on them like a frying pan, whereas Canners do not.

Pressure cookers can't be used as pressure canners because canners are larger (16 qt. and larger is what I have read before). Because of their size, they heat up and cool down much more slowly. This is calculated into the processing time. In a cooker, you can't determine how much longer you have to process at pressure to make up the difference, so it is not recommended.

I have a small 8 qt pressure cooker that also came with instructions on how to use it as a canner. I have a very large pressure canner that is only for pressure canning.
If you are not pickling the peppers, you must pressure can. If you are adding vinegar or sugar (not likely) then you water bath can. I'm not quite sure what recipe you have that requires 'aged' canned peppers but I have never heard of it. Most canned goods have a shelf life of 2-3 years, some more some less. But they tend to degrade flavor and texture wise if stored too long I have found.

Back
Top Bottom