Canning questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsCobragt

Assistant Cook
ok here I am AGAIN!

ran across some recipes that would like to try, but none of them say what jars to use all it states is the water bath time is for 15 min. are they talking about quarts or pints/or how much it makes:huh:

They probably are not tested and approved recipes, but most water bath processing recipes generally use pint jars or smaller. I would not use quart jars unless the recipe was specifically written for that size.

And if they are "pickling" recipes, the ratio of water to vinegar (5%) cannot exceed 1:1 else it is an old recipe and totally unsafe.

thank you for your reply. I"m looking for a green tomato relish that has been tested for pint size jars. the recipes I was referring to are on ifoodtv.com. If someone has time to browse and see that most recipes there do not say what size of jars to use. I would like some recipes if anyone has some good ones to share

The way I see it the water bath time is given from the time it boils, if such it doesn't matter what kind of jars you have.

The way I see it the water bath time is given from the time it boils, if such it doesn't matter what kind of jars you have.
Which is a good way to not kill the bacteria, mold or yeast spores since heat may not have sufficient time to penetrate the food in larger jars.

Green Tomato Relish

4 quarts chopped peeled cored green tomatoes -, (abt 32 med)
2 quarts chopped cabbage - (abt 1 large head)
2 cups chopped sweet green peppers -, (abt 4 small)
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup salt
5 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 Tbs mustard seed
1 Tbs celery seed
1 Tbs prepared horseradish
4 1/2 cups vinegar, 5% acidity

1. Prepare Ball brand or Kerr brand jars and closures according to manufacturer's instructions.

2. Sprinkle salt over vegetables and mix thoroughly; let stand 3 to 4 hours. Drain; rinse and drain thoroughly. Combine sugar, spices, horseradish and vinegar; simmer 15 minutes. Add vegetables and bring to a boil.

3. Pack hot relish into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rim clean. Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass. Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met -- fingertip tight.

4. Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. At elevations higher than 1,000 feet, boil 2 additional minutes for each additional 1,000 feet elevation.

Yield: 7 pints

Source: Allistra Corporation's recipe archive at Homecanning.com -|- Your complete source for all home canning and home food preservation needs.

thank you! would red work instead of the green peppers? do i need to keep these refrigerated?

umm is it me or is the smilie chart gone....:((
love using them lol..

The only difference in bell peppers is the color. This is a canning recipe, to store at room temperature. If you don't want or know how to 'can' then, yes, put it in the refrigerator.

Which is a good way to not kill the bacteria, mold or yeast spores since heat may not have sufficient time to penetrate the food in larger jars.

Not exactly, the jar that is seating in the pot is affecting the temperature of water around it, so the water around it is not going to boil unless the watter inside the jar is also hot enough, thus when the whole pot is brought to boil and boils for 15 minutes the whole thing is actually boiling.

I'm hosting a Halloween party and would love to make this but I'm not sure what type of salt to use. I'm guessing to use sea salt? could you let me know

thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom